turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Passing on 2 year Turkey?

Started by fadetoblack188, May 05, 2021, 10:24:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fadetoblack188

When you guys Turkey hunting will you try and pass on a Turkey you believe to be 2 years old and wait and pray at 3 plus Turkey comes around?

I just feel Turkey hunting isn't easy, and take that first legal bird that comes in.

What are your thought?

catman529

No, it's turkey hunting, not deer hunting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

fadetoblack188

That's why I ask. I do it with deer hunting. But do guys do it with Turkey to?  I mean you can't judge Spur length from 35 yards away lol

Dazzler

Negative.  First legal bird.  First legal deer.

honker22

I wasn't too far from blasting a 1 year old turkey this year, since the season was so bad... but no, I've never once looked at spurs before I shot. 
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

silvestris

I have been turkey hunting for 48 years and while I appreciate the old ones, I will take a two year old and say to myself "Goodun".  Now if I am engaged with a particular gobbler, I will pass on a perceived two year old in the process.  I don't hardly find myself in that situation anymore due to the massive increase in the numbers seeking the birds and the methods employed by the masses.  Ban reaping and decoys.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

bigriverbum

if i'm in need of meat i'll take anything. jakes definitely eat better

if i've had close calls with an "experienced" bird i will give it a go at him for a while

deer hunting? brown it's down. i think i had 7 deer tags last year.

trkehunr93

The myth of a two year old vs. a three year old is exactly that a myth, beard/spur length have nothing to do with it as some "two year olds" had 1 1/2" spurs and some "three year old" turkeys can have 3/4" spurs.  A jake is pretty obvious (short, thin beard), especially if they strut and you can see the fan.  Although some mature birds can have short beards due to a variety of issues.  If you want a mature bird, shoot one that has a beard at least 7-8" or longer.   

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

If a gobbler with at least a 6 inch beard comes within range of me I'm shooting. Jakes are not legal here.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

hootgobbleyelpgobble

A full fan gets the hammer regardless of beard or spur length for me.

fallhnt

I shoot anything legal.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Yoteduster

Yep it has a full fan he's fair game

GobbleGitr

I cringed when I saw the thread but love the responses.  I have listened to a couple windbags talk about how they only shoot 3 year olds...who doesn't like curved hooks...but unless you are measuring the bills on your mallards and spurs on your pheasants, you can leave trophy hunting to other pursuits.  Agree that a legal full fan is a great trophy, and all turkeys eat good depending on legality and season.

Bedge7767

Quote from: hootgobbleyelpgobble on May 05, 2021, 01:12:36 PM
A full fan gets the hammer regardless of beard or spur length for me.

X2
Jim

howl

Sometimes I'll suspect it's a little older jake. If they don't show a full fan they get a pass. I don't go by age nor measurements. I go by maturity and difficulty. A full fledged 2yo is usually plenty difficult for me.