turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

#1 best turkey tip ever

Started by strum, April 23, 2021, 06:28:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farmboy27

Don't forget it's supposed to be fun!!  You're doing this because you enjoy it, don't put so much pressure on it that you start to hate it!!

Lcmacd 58

Quote from: Farmboy27 on May 02, 2023, 08:47:27 PM
Don't forget it's supposed to be fun!!  You're doing this because you enjoy it, don't put so much pressure on it that you start to hate it!!

This is the best ever and fits any thing you enjoy ...

Greg Massey

Turkey Season is a short season, go as much as you can...

Turkeybutt

When you fail, (and you will fail) learn from it. Adjust, adapt and do what works for you.

strum

Well guys I didn't post my last harvest but I'm tagged out n Ga.  I want to tell yall I used my own advise on this one.
The bed felt so good I had to beat my self out of it.
There was this certain place that more times than not I would walk in and end up right under the flock. Been busted there 3-4 times.
I finally found a way in from the opposite side that I didn't know about.
Also since it had rained I was able to come in very quiet on the wet leaves. Sure nuff I was 80 yards from the first gobbler.
Took me untill 9:30 to work him in to a good 35 yard shot.
Had I sleep in I would have missed out.
So I still say the best tip is get out of bed!!!   

Lcmacd 58

Getting out of bed is usually the hardest 1st step .   

ruination

Quote from: longbow59 on May 15, 2021, 07:01:51 PM
Get as close as possible, call softly.

I think this is pretty bad advice for someone looking for tips.

They (read me) have not learned to judge gobbles distance yet and will spook every bird without ever knowing it.

Even today I just know when it's clear or I can hear that last part, it's time to sit if they are on the ground.

Then there foliage to consider and wind.

I don't know how many turkeys I busted trying to get as close as possible, but I bet it was 10 or 20.
.410 Favors the Bold

Marc

Quote from: Lcmacd 58 on May 08, 2023, 11:12:30 AM
Getting out of bed is usually the hardest 1st step .   
Due to a number of reason, I only hunted one (large) area this season...  I rarely kill early morning birds there.

Never got there before 9 am this year...  Maybe help with the kids at the house first, get a couple things done, and head out for a "day hunt."

I missed the "woods waking up" in the morning...  And the gobbling on the roost...  I did NOT miss waking up at 3:30 am, and stumbling through the woods in the dark.

Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

idratherb

"TIME" to hunt consistent days in a row and turkeys in your area..

Tnandy

1) Better swallow you a 50 gallon drum full of patience!
2) Learn the terrain and work on woodsman ship

idratherb

Be able to find consistant days to hunt

RMP

Thick pine trees when it's cold and windy. 

Otherwise, a good decoy helps.

Sir-diealot

Don't get antsy and over call when they are being quiet, call about every fifteen minutes to half an hour then stay quiet.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

capecodmike

Quote from: Sir-diealot on January 14, 2024, 08:07:39 PM
Don't get antsy and over call when they are being quiet, call about every fifteen minutes to half an hour then stay quiet.

What this man said.

idratherb

Have lots or TIME and consistent days to hunt and birds in the area to hunt...you certainly don't need a vest stuffed full of calls either.