OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Do turkeys get alarmed by seeing your breath

Started by Meleagris gallopavo, April 18, 2021, 09:26:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

outdoorsmen

I have wondered about it. And my eyes blinking.  I find myself squinting when I'm being looked at by deer and turkeys.

Marc

Quote from: outdoorsmen on April 19, 2021, 03:45:13 PM
I have wondered about it. And my eyes blinking.  I find myself squinting when I'm being looked at by deer and turkeys.

I am certain birds have seen me blink...  Some years back, I had a group of jakes come in (hoping for a tom behind them).  One of the birds could obviously see me blinking, and walked right up to me, and cocked his head sideways looking at my eyeballs...  He was close enough I could smell him, and grab him had I cared to try.

My guess is he was curious, or thought maybe my blinking eyes were an insect or lizard he could eat???

There is only so much we can do though.  I hide as best I can (sometimes in some situations not nearly as good as I would like).  I know I have been spotted this season, sitting perfectly still against a tree.  Bird coming towards me, cocks his head, stairs, and walks around...  Not running scared, but obviously cautious.  I have no idea what they spotted that they did not like (I can sit really still, and was doing so); could have been my breath, my blinking, or just something he did not like.

Been hunting that bird all season, and finally put him to bed yesterday by getting into a creek bottom with really tight cover.  He was walking towards me, and coming around in the open to assess the creek I was in.  He stopped at 35 yards, and picked his head up, obviously seeing something he did not like (whether it was the lack of a hen, or he spotted me), and he was close enough for me.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: Spring Creek Calls on April 19, 2021, 03:01:05 PM
Yesterday morning it was 29 degrees, a hen standing 10 yards in front of me with gobbler 40 yards behind her. You bet I was trying to breath down into my jacket.
This is what I was talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.