turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Tough row to hoe

Started by ChesterCopperpot, April 18, 2021, 07:19:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meleagris gallopavo

Where I hunt in eastern NC I hear gobbling every morning to some degree.  A week ago it was absolutely nuts one morning and I couldn't tell how many were gobbling.  It lasted until after 8:00 AM.  I went back the next day and it was less.  It's different on different days, but ever present.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

ChesterCopperpot

Still ain't gobbling. Just kept sitting good sign. Not a fun way to hunt them, but as expected eventually you'll catch up with one.

Gobbler-one

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on April 18, 2021, 07:19:01 AM
Had some success and stayed on plenty of birds opening week in SC, but season's been open a week here at the house in the NC mountains and I ain't heard a gobble.

Interesting, I hunt in the lowcountry of South Carolina. Opening week I never heard a bird gobble from the roost in two areas that I know had gobblers. In fact, for me turkeys didn't get very vocal until last week. Birds blowing it out on the roost, and gobbling hard to the call and working in after fly down. All this in the same two areas I was listening from opening week. I don't know what changed for them, but the difference has been unreal.
As a side note, When I did start locating birds this year gobbling on the roost. It was much later than I expected. Half an hour after what traditionally has been fly down time in my area. This made it more difficult to set up before everything greened up. This past week the birds are gobbling at day break and everything seems normal again with a week left in my season.
Turkeys being turkeys... go figure.

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Gobbler-one on April 24, 2021, 05:24:10 PM
Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on April 18, 2021, 07:19:01 AM
Had some success and stayed on plenty of birds opening week in SC, but season's been open a week here at the house in the NC mountains and I ain't heard a gobble.

Interesting, I hunt in the lowcountry of South Carolina. Opening week I never heard a bird gobble from the roost in two areas that I know had gobblers. In fact, for me turkeys didn't get very vocal until last week. Birds blowing it out on the roost, and gobbling hard to the call and working in after fly down. All this in the same two areas I was listening from opening week. I don't know what changed for them, but the difference has been unreal.
As a side note, When I did start locating birds this year gobbling on the roost. It was much later than I expected. Half an hour after what traditionally has been fly down time in my area. This made it more difficult to set up before everything greened up. This past week the birds are gobbling at day break and everything seems normal again with a week left in my season.
Turkeys being turkeys... go figure.
I'm likely to head back to SC this next week to try and fill at least one of them two tags. $100 for two out of state tags on top of everything else I pay to hunt down there, feel like I better get after it. Ain't been down there but a few days opening week.

grayfox

topnotch

Stranges season I remember, opening morning 13 Jake's and 2 year olds gobbling and running in until other hunters came in too.
Since then gobbling on roost then shut up after fly down.
Filled two tags but both came in quiet. Haven't heard or seen any hens this year. Not a normal season in East TN.

roberthyman14

We have 2 days left.   I havent heard a gobble in over a week. And I've hunted every morning this last week.  Changing areas, found fresh tracks, still no gobbles. Thursday I was pulling out early to hit another place, I hit the paved road and there is a hen and a strutted in the road.   Made a loop and parked down from them.  Never could pull them to me.  Friday I went right to that spot, was hoping to answer the question why the turkey crossed the road.  Another morning of 0 gobbles and never seen eithier turkey.  We have been getting hammered with rain the last 2 weekends. Tomorrow I'm going to hit private land to see if its any different.  We only hunted it 2x this season.  Other guy heard a gobbler up there. 3 weeks ago. Just been a different kinda season.  Tons 9f hunting pressure.  I think a bunch of people started hunting last season during covid, they have stuck with it this season. Most will stop hunting next season 8f they haven't found success yet.   I worried with all our rain its gonna be a bad nesting season.

Prostaff member for Old Crow Custom Calls