turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Replacing 25+ year old glass call

Started by Archivist13, April 29, 2021, 09:10:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archivist13

I think I've finally worn out my H.S. Strut World Champion Triple Glass Call that I bought in the mid to early 90's . I'm just not liking the sound its producing anymore. Two questions. How many years do you usually get out of a call? Am I better off getting a tried and true call that is proven to be a winner, or should I wait to see if there any new models that may come out during the off season? I haven't bought a pot call in so long, I haven't really been paying attention to the market that much. Do the custom call makers come out with new models each year or is that not a thing with pot calls? Thanks for any opinions!

Greg Massey

Custom calls are daylight and dark different than those productions calls, sure you may get one out of a package that sounds pretty good. So my suggestion is search back on the forum and buy you couple good custom calls.

Chris O

I agree with Greg get you a custom pot call.If you can only have one I would get something weather proof, but those exotic woods sure are pretty

TalknTurkey

My suggestion would be to pick up a David Halloran crystal mistress or a twister sister if you like a little more rasp and go kill turkeys with it. They are readily available, easy to run, and will sound night and day better than that call you've been using.

TalknTurkey

But to answer your question about new calls coming out in the off-season - some call makers only offer certain wood/surface combinations, whereas others take custom orders and make whatever a customer wants. Even those that only offer certain options typically may only introduce one or two new options each year and they don't usually sound drastically different than what they've turned out in the past.

As long as you buy from a quality call maker, the call should sound good regardless. Now if you do choose to buy a custom call, you may want to go ahead and reach out to them now instead of waiting as some of them have wait lists that can take several months to get a call. Many of them have full-time jobs, families, and other commitments so they can only get around to turning pots when they have time.

tnanh

I saw one of your old calls on e bay yesterday. Cant remember price. If you want a nice sounding call that isnt terribly expensive look at Gooserbats crystal call. I think it is one of the best sounding calls around and is easy to play with the provided striker.

bbcoach

It sounds as if this call has been a killer and has some Great sentimental value to you.  I want to make a suggestion, if I may.  Before giving up on this call, try 2 things, 1. Get some 120 grit drywall screen and give it a REAL good scratching.  Rough it up really well all over, going from East to West  9 to 3  2. Get yourself several other strikers (don't use the one that came with it) and rough the tips of these up as well.  Now play the surface North to South 12 to 6 and see how she sounds.  It maybe the call but for the price of a little drywall screen, you may get a GREAT return on your investment.  Let us know what happens.

Archivist13

Quote from: TalknTurkey on April 30, 2021, 10:25:18 AM
My suggestion would be to pick up a David Halloran crystal mistress or a twister sister if you like a little more rasp and go kill turkeys with it. They are readily available, easy to run, and will sound night and day better than that call you've been using.

These two Halloran calls are definitely at the top of my list. They seem to be great without totally breaking the bank.

Archivist13

Quote from: TalknTurkey on April 30, 2021, 10:29:18 AM
But to answer your question about new calls coming out in the off-season - some call makers only offer certain wood/surface combinations, whereas others take custom orders and make whatever a customer wants. Even those that only offer certain options typically may only introduce one or two new options each year and they don't usually sound drastically different than what they've turned out in the past.

As long as you buy from a quality call maker, the call should sound good regardless. Now if you do choose to buy a custom call, you may want to go ahead and reach out to them now instead of waiting as some of them have wait lists that can take several months to get a call. Many of them have full-time jobs, families, and other commitments so they can only get around to turning pots when they have time.
Great info! Thanks!

Archivist13

Quote from: tnanh on April 30, 2021, 11:51:42 AM
I saw one of your old calls on e bay yesterday. Cant remember price. If you want a nice sounding call that isnt terribly expensive look at Gooserbats crystal call. I think it is one of the best sounding calls around and is easy to play with the provided striker.
Thanks! Will look into the Goosbats. I honestly haven't heard of this one, so I'll read up on it. Funny how when you aren't in the market for something for so long, you lose track of what's out there.

Archivist13

Quote from: bbcoach on April 30, 2021, 02:10:33 PM
It sounds as if this call has been a killer and has some Great sentimental value to you.  I want to make a suggestion, if I may.  Before giving up on this call, try 2 things, 1. Get some 120 grit drywall screen and give it a REAL good scratching.  Rough it up really well all over, going from East to West  9 to 3  2. Get yourself several other strikers (don't use the one that came with it) and rough the tips of these up as well.  Now play the surface North to South 12 to 6 and see how she sounds.  It maybe the call but for the price of a little drywall screen, you may get a GREAT return on your investment.  Let us know what happens.
I have actually done that and bought a new striker, but i think 25 years of conditioning, it is past it's useful life. I definitely have some great memories with this call, and will be retiring it will honors at the end of this season. I scratched it up real good this morning, looks like I took barb wire to it (LOL) and it is sounding better, but still think its time to get into the 21st century! I still have my circa 1990 Lynch's Long Beard Turkey Call Model No. 150 to keep me company out there, but I think it's time to think about replacing him too.

rakkin6

If I could make a few recommendations on callmakers I think you would be happy with and they won't break the bank.

Mark Cunningham (Longhunter Custom Calls, goes by the screen name Footballer on here)

Brad Roberts (B&C custom calls)

Mike Yingling

Jimmy Schaffer (Oak Ridge Custom Calls)

Chad Remenaric

Chris Brumfiel

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

bbcoach

Quote from: Archivist13 on April 30, 2021, 03:36:50 PM
Quote from: bbcoach on April 30, 2021, 02:10:33 PM
I have actually done that and bought a new striker, but i think 25 years of conditioning, it is past it's useful life. I definitely have some great memories with this call, and will be retiring it will honors at the end of this season. I scratched it up real good this morning, looks like I took barb wire to it (LOL) and it is sounding better, but still think its time to get into the 21st century! I still have my circa 1990 Lynch's Long Beard Turkey Call Model No. 150 to keep me company out there, but I think it's time to think about replacing him too.
Good for you!  I'm a Halloran guy myself.  I have and carry the CM and TS.  They are both great calls.  The TS is very raspy and nasty but the CM has brought in plenty of birds as well.  Good Luck with your search.

Turkeyman62

The call doesn't even look like it was conditioned

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

A Gobbler Yelp Spring Or Fall Is A Long Conversation..

Archivist13

Quote from: Turkeyman62 on April 30, 2021, 05:46:28 PM
The call doesn't even look like it was conditioned
It's been conditioned many times. It looks like that because I'm scared to condition it anymore because its become so thin.