OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Education Time

Started by bbcoach, April 17, 2021, 10:48:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meleagris gallopavo

I know it's blasphemous to do, but I shot and killed a turkey Friday with Apex TSS and killed one this morning with a Winchester Longbeard XR #5 WITHOUT PATTERNING IT FOR THE LONGBEARD.  I tend to think we make things harder than they need to be and I'm guilty of it myself.  This year I'm using shells I have rather than buying new ones.  My son killed several turkeys when he was younger with a 20 gauge Mossberg pump and regular lead turkey loads and never missed.  I did have him use a cheap red dot sight though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Ozarks Hillbilly

I shot double beads for years and years. As better chokes and ammo evolved switched over to adjustable fiber optic sights. Then made the switch to a red dot and don't see myself not having a red dot on turkey specific gun. As for triggers I  have been putting Timney trigger fix in my Remington's for for awhile now. 

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

silvestris

My problem with TSS is the down range energy for an unseen hunter's safety.  I had a hunter come in on me and he shot a gobbler that was circling me.  A very few degrees to the left would have peppered me at the least.  I know that because I walked over to him as he was standing over the still flopping bird and I had him point the tree against he was sitting.  Scary.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Which Gun

Like someone had already mentioned. I have multiple guns setup for different conditions they all have red dots installed. If I'm hunting open terrain I'll carry gun setup for it. I won't let this bird get to close.  If I'm in cover closer in shots I have two guns for that purpose. I'm only shooting lead in my guns.

TRG3

My 12 gauge Remington 870 has a red dot that is sighted in for deer slugs at 50 yards and is also accurate with the HS Strut Undertaker choke shooting lead without changing anything. Having said that, I set my decoys at least 20 yards out so as not to have to small a pattern when it reaches the gobbler. Also, by all means, on cloudless days avoid setting up so that you will be looking into the sun which will cause you all sorts of problems with aiming. My only experience with this taught me this valuable lesson. I did get the tom, but had to do lots of head bobbing to get the bead on the bird.