News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Is this a bad idea?

Started by Tally Turkey, May 03, 2021, 12:04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tally Turkey

Would like y'alls opinion on this:

I have a couple 12 gauge Mossberg pumps laying around that I don't do anything with. Thinking about turning one of them into a turkey gun with camo and potentially new sights. I would also like to experiment with 28 gauge and .410 loads and was thinking about buying barrel tubes for one of these 12 gauges so I can have the flexibility to shoot a variety of loads out of one gun. Assuming I can find the tubes with the necessary choke restriction for turkeys, what are some potential downsides to this? I haven't used barrel tubes before but would think they function pretty well.

BandedSpur

If you are talking about tube inserts like those used for skeet, I don't think the mfgs will recommend shooting turkey loads through them. The 28 ga tubes are designed for 3/4 oz target loads and the .410 for 1/2 oz loads. Turkey loads could easily be twice that heavy. By all means, contact the mfg and ask them, but I personally think it is a bad idea. I have heard of tube sets cracking from shooting target loads (albeit from a lot more shooting than you will ever do with turkey loads).