turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Best Choke for Stoeger M3020?

Started by NightHawk24, April 12, 2021, 01:46:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NightHawk24

Currently running the Federal TSS 9's. Just wondering what chokes you guys may have had to pattern well with the gun. Thanks in advance!

rakkin6

Quote from: NightHawk24 on April 12, 2021, 01:46:19 AM
Currently running the Federal TSS 9's. Just wondering what chokes you guys may have had to pattern well with the gun. Thanks in advance!
I to am interested in this l am looking at buying a 20 gauge and this was a gun I was looking at. Assuming you have deep cleaned the barrel already I would try the factory choke. Looking at some previous threads here it seems some guys got good numbers with that. But if it didn't pattern well my go to would be Indian Creek. Have them in 3 of my other guns and they shoot great. Next would be to give Mr. William at Sumtoy a try or a Jebs. Good thing about Jebs is if you don't get the pattern you like out of the first tube they send another one. And William seems to know his stuff about which chokes for each gun and load.

Post some pics when you decide what to go with good luck.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

MCturkey

My 3020 with 26" barrel likes the .570 sumtoy best with Apex #9's. Indian Creek .555 and Sumtoy .562 throw a very hot pattern but the .570 seems to be the best hunting pattern for me.

bwhana

The factory turkey choke outperformed everything else I tried in mine for a hunting pattern at 40 yds. The Carlson TSS .555 was tighter, but uneven and not as consistent.

Matt76cmich

I was shooting Rogue 1 5/8oz 9s out of my M3020 through a Sumtoy 562 at 40 yards.  I would like to try a little less constriction to compare it to.  Hoping to shoot some of the Apex Small Town Blend in the next 2 days to see if that opens it up a touch.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Gmed

Here is my Affinity (almost the same)  with a 24" barrel and patterns using Federal factory TSS #9s. .565 Jebs, .575 Jebs and .562 Sumtoy. I use the Sumtoy most of the time, but if my shots were close, I would not hesitate to use the .575 Jebs.  Took a gobbler Friday with the Sumtoy. My first with a 20 gauge. I am sold on em.

NightHawk24

Thanks for all the info guys! I really appreciate it.

BINK McCARTY

Try the factory extra full choke that came with it (.569) you will probably be pleasantly surprised! Or a Primos tightwad, or the IC  .562  or  .570

BINK McCARTY

Quote from: Gmed on April 12, 2021, 04:23:14 PM
Here is my Affinity (almost the same)  with a 24" barrel and patterns using Federal factory TSS #9s. .565 Jebs, .575 Jebs and .562 Sumtoy. I use the Sumtoy most of the time, but if my shots were close, I would not hesitate to use the .575 Jebs.  Took a gobbler Friday with the Sumtoy. My first with a 20 gauge. I am sold on em.

That is one dang good lookin gun!

Gmed

Quote from: BINK McCARTY on April 13, 2021, 05:35:04 AM

Thank ya Bink...that's the  24" barrel I bought local that was originally some shade of green that I had my buddy cerakote in cobalt gray to match the receiver. He did a great job matching....

BINK McCARTY

Quote from: Gmed on April 13, 2021, 08:51:09 PM
Quote from: BINK McCARTY on April 13, 2021, 05:35:04 AM

Thank ya Bink...that's the  24" barrel I bought local that was originally some shade of green that I had my buddy cerakote in cobalt gray to match the receiver. He did a great job matching....

Midwest Gun Works finally got the 24" barrels in for the Stoeger M3020 so I snatched one up!

Turkeyfever

I have two Stoeger 3020, I have the turkey edition with a 24 inch barrel and one in bottomland with a 26 inch barrel. Both guns shoot the Carlson 575 turkey tube and Federal TSS #9 with amazing results! They are great guns!

Matt76cmich

Well, the Patternmaster had a little more open pattern at 40yds than the Sumtoy so I'm going with the Patternmaster.  I will be getting ahold of Sumtoy after the season to see what he thinks and order up another Sumtoy choke.

Here is today's 20yd pattern for South Dakota, heading out in about 10 hours. Also throwing in the M3000 40 yd pattern for Nebraska.

Edit: looks like I forgot to take a picture of the 40 yd pattern with the M3020 and I'm not digging it out right now lol.  Just got done loading the truck minus the cold food.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Holtbensley

Here is my 3020 with a 22" barrel (cut&rethreaded) IC .555 20yrds and 40yrds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]

lacire

Really nice looking and good patterns. How do you like that sling? are the swivels quiet?
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr