OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

I need opinions on a shotgun strictly for turkey hunting.

Started by Mountain Man, May 27, 2011, 06:01:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yukonhunter

www.harvestmoonmalamutes.com      GIANT Alaskan Malamutes
http://www.harvestmoonmalamutes.com

dirt road ninja

If you go with a 835. I'd buy one with a 24" barrel. IC .675 and Hevi 13 3 1/2 # 6's. I have never seen one not put at least 200 pellets in a 10 inch circle @ 40yds. Some might do better, but thats the closest to a sure thing with you'll find in a turkey gun without a whole lot of hassle. That beening said I've only played with 3 of them set up that way. One had shorter barrel, but still surpassed the 200 pellet count. 

ncturkey

Man that is hard tell someone what the perfect turkey 3 1/2" shotgun. But since you already have Remington and it must fit you pretty good for you to have it. I would get a Remington 870 3 1/2" Super Magnum. It will be great for running and gunning turkey hunting. If you are not into running and gunning a Remington 11-87 Super Magnum may be a good choice for you. I myself do not turkey hunt with a 3 1/2" shotguns. My dad has one and I may try it some time. Both of my turkey guns are 3" chamber Remington's. One is 870 and the other is 11-87. Both will kill a turkey out to 45-50 yards for sure. Plus my 11-87 patterns well with the Hevi 13 3" 2oz. #6 loads with a Indian Creek .665. I am getting 200+ in the 10" @ 40 yards with that setup. With all that said all the other turkey guns mentioned would proabally get the job done. But it boils down to personnal perfence. For me I like Remington's. They have never let me down. Even though I can shoot them out at 50 yards I still try a call them in close. What ever you choose make sure you pattern it to make sure it can get the job done. Good Luck, Mike

chatterbox

I've never shot the 870's, but I know enough guys that own them that love them.
Personally, I love my 835 Mossberg. Great, great patterning shotgun.