turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Stoeger M3020 Pistol Grip Stock Options

Started by Matt76cmich, April 04, 2021, 06:38:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt76cmich

I've searched here and the internet in general and have only found that I might be able to use one of the Stoeger 12 gauge pistol grip stocks as long as it gets shaved down a little.

One thing I started to think about with Franchi coming out with a 20 gauge turkey gun this year, is if the steady grip stock from the Franchi would fit the Stoeger.  Has anyone looked into this?

I plan on making some phone calls tomorrow, but thought I'd see if anyone here has looked into it and if not I can always post what I find out.

Is there any aftermarket options out there at all? I haven't found any.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Matt76cmich

Franchi said the turkey stock is not available for sale on its own and would not fit the Stoeger. I think my best bet is going to be using the 12ga stock and sanding it to fit flush. No big hurry, just looking to make this 20ga "perfect" for me. It sure is a good shooter for me. Before fall gets here I might have the receiver drilled and tapped, but for now I'm liking the Williams Fire sights.

BINK McCARTY

BINK McCARTY

BTW....there's a 24" bbl. in Mossy Oak Obsession available now for the M3020 on Midwest Gun Works  P/N:33838

Matt76cmich

Quote from: BINK McCARTY on April 11, 2021, 03:33:30 AM
BTW....there's a 24" bbl. in Mossy Oak Obsession available now for the M3020 on Midwest Gun Works  P/N:33838
Is there much to be gained going from a 26" to 24" barrel (I honestly don't know)?   I know most all turkey specific shotguns have 24" or less barrels, but I'm still learning as I go here. I have really only begun to take turkey hunting serious in the last year.  Before this year I've always just used the shotgun my dad gave me when I was younger (20 gauge Rem 870 Wingmaster with a fixed modified choke barrel) and have had decent success over the years.

Matt76cmich

Finally found someone selling a Steadygrip stock and it showed up today. Granted they are for the 12 gauges it fits good enough to finish out the season here in Michigan. After the season I'll shape as needed and then send it off to get dipped to match the fore grip.

Still debating if I want to drill and tap the receiver, go with the rib mount, or leave it as is with the Williams Fire sights.

Also still curious is having my barrel cut down to 22-24" is much of a benefit over the 26"s it is.

BINK McCARTY

Quote from: Matt76cmich on April 11, 2021, 07:34:46 AM
Is there much to be gained going from a 26" to 24" barrel (I honestly don't know)?   I know most all turkey specific shotguns have 24" or less barrels, but I'm still learning as I go here. I have really only begun to take turkey hunting serious in the last year.  Before this year I've always just used the shotgun my dad gave me when I was younger (20 gauge Rem 870 Wingmaster with a fixed modified choke barrel) and have had decent success over the years.

My Stoeger M3020 has a 26" bbl. and I opted to buy the 24" bbl. opposed to having it cut down after a talk with the fella @ CompNChoke. Couple of reasons why.
First after its cut it cannot be threaded back to Mobil choke threads (and I have a bunch of chokes) next is being the bore is chrome lined there is a chance it may start flaking off.
As to your question about what is gained by a shorter barrel...mobility in the woods is about it.
I have a couple of questions for you.
What pistol grip is that?
How are you going to shape it down to the contour of the receiver?
What kind of patterns are you seeing out of the Patternmaster choke?

BTW....if you're happy with the barrel length I would not change a thing, if you want a shorter barrel I'd buy the 24" @ Midwest Gun Works P/N:33838 =$215 and have the whole thing dipped.
Keep us apprised of what you decide and the end product,  good luck!

BINK McCARTY

Oh yea,forgot. I drilled & tapped mine and I love it!!!

Matt76cmich

Quote from: BINK McCARTY on May 19, 2021, 12:13:42 AM
Quote from: Matt76cmich on April 11, 2021, 07:34:46 AM

My Stoeger M3020 has a 26" bbl. and I opted to buy the 24" bbl. opposed to having it cut down after a talk with the fella @ CompNChoke. Couple of reasons why.
First after its cut it cannot be threaded back to Mobil choke threads (and I have a bunch of chokes) next is being the bore is chrome lined there is a chance it may start flaking off.
As to your question about what is gained by a shorter barrel...mobility in the woods is about it.
I have a couple of questions for you.
What pistol grip is that?
How are you going to shape it down to the contour of the receiver?
What kind of patterns are you seeing out of the Patternmaster choke?

BTW....if you're happy with the barrel length I would not change a thing, if you want a shorter barrel I'd buy the 24" @ Midwest Gun Works P/N:33838 =$215 and have the whole thing dipped.
Keep us apprised of what you decide and the end product,  good luck!

I didn't buy through Stoeger, but this is the pistol grip stock In bought:
https://www.shopstoeger.com/stocks/33390

I plan on sanding down the area around the receiver where the stock is a little proud like the guy did on Gobbler Nation, but I have to see how much material is there first.

I'm shooting Apex 3" 1 5/8oz 9s and the Patternmaster is pretty tight at 20yds, but has a fairly good hunting pattern at 40yds. I do want to try out a more open choke for next year though. I don't have a picture of the 40, but here is the 20.

Matt76cmich

As far as the barrel length, I'm 6'5" 300# so mobility is already low in the woods lol.  I think I'll leave the barrel as is.

BINK McCARTY

Lol...yea, I can see how you might leave a larger than average footprint in the woods! That 26" will do great! You're definitely shooting the right ammo.

Matt76cmich

Looked up the post from Hoobilly on the other forum to see what will need to be removed to make it fit better with the M3020.

BINK McCARTY

Yea, I knew he had done it to his,just wasn't sure of how he went about it.  It looks good though!

Holtbensley

Quote from: Matt76cmich on May 17, 2021, 04:26:17 PM
Finally found someone selling a Steadygrip stock and it showed up today. Granted they are for the 12 gauges it fits good enough to finish out the season here in Michigan. After the season I'll shape as needed and then send it off to get dipped to match the fore grip.

Still debating if I want to drill and tap the receiver, go with the rib mount, or leave it as is with the Williams Fire sights.

Also still curious is having my barrel cut down to 22-24" is much of a benefit over the 26"s it is.

I had my barrel cut down to 22" and I love it compared to the 26" barrel it was before! How does the pattern master choke shoot?
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]

BINK McCARTY

Quote from: Matt76cmich on May 17, 2021, 04:26:17 PM

Other than the obvious overhang, did the pistol grip stock mount right up to the M3020?