turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Call to the hens?????

Started by rtsj, May 26, 2011, 05:42:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rtsj

Getting very frustrated!!!!!!!!! Every bird i seem to get set up on wether its directly from the roost or any other time of the day have one thing in common. They gobble alot walking the other way! I assume they are with hens and not sure what approach to take. I keep hearing to call to the hens and they will bring the tom in tow. I'm not sure how. I know to mimic the hen if she's talking but nothing. I'm not hearing a peep from them at all. I dont even know if they are with hens. Whats going on???? Any suggestions???  I had 4 toms in the field the other day just feeding. They didnt even know i was there. I made a few easy purrs and swear to god they ran the other way! Whats up??? First week was a piece of cake.  My 13 year old niece and 6 year old son killed long beards on youth day and I killed my first bird the end of the first week. Now I can't get a bird to cooperate, not even a jake. I'm hunting private land with very limited pressure and the birds are acting like they are getting pestered all day. HELP!!

WyoHunter

When calling to the hen I've had good response calling aggressively with cutts and loud yelps. As far as those gobblers are concerned they sound like they know what's going on at this time of the season. Also seeing four gobblers together now means they might be out of the mating mood and they are in their flight not mate mood. If you really want to kill one sounds like you need to get in front of them and let them walk in to you. Good luck!
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

ElkTurkMan

Quote from: WyoHunter on May 26, 2011, 07:12:48 PM
When calling to the hen I've had good response calling aggressively with cutts and loud yelps. As far as those gobblers are concerned they sound like they know what's going on at this time of the season. Also seeing four gobblers together now means they might be out of the mating mood and they are in their flight not mate mood. If you really want to kill one sounds like you need to get in front of them and let them walk in to you. Good luck!
X2 great advice WyoHunter.  Whenever you see Toms starting to group back up, there likely done with breeding.  Time to get in fron tof them and hunt them like deer.  Not near as much fun, but you have to play the hand your dealt.  Good Luck rtsj!

drenalinld

Gobbler yelps or even gobbles may be more effective now.

redleg06

get your walking boots on killer...

If you can keep them gobbling (even going the other way) you got an advantage cause you have their location and can try to make a move to get in front of them.

outlaw

ive used the fighting purr with some success  and aggresive cutting to but different  birds have different  mind sets and certain time just try things you dont know what might  work
Im a good guy !!!

gunnerj

Have you tried decoys? The big thing is to get in front of them. You want to be on their way, not to try to drag them back. All the suggestions sound like something to try.  :anim_25:

VaTuRkStOmPeR

i've found that the softer vocalizations like clucks, purrs and very, quiet, soft yelps tend to be more productive than aggressive yelping and cutting.

seems to me that many hens are more gregarious than confrontational.  although i do tend to run across aggressive hens off and on throughout the season, i more often than not fail to bring the flock to me with aggressive talk... i have higher success ratios with the soft stuff.

Footballer

As others have said, it sounds like the gobblers have been pressured pretty hard. During the late-season, I like to use "fresh" calls that I know the turkeys haven't heard yet.

Also, I use the assembly yelp quite a bit during the late season. This is a natural call that the hens will use when they come off the nest to try and locate a nearby gobbler or other hens.

As far as hunting them on the roost, I generally don't call to the birds if I think they have hens. The best thing to do is setup where you think they will go once they pitch down. I've had more negative results trying to call to gobblers off the roost. Even without hens, I've had several gobblers stay in a tree til 10:30 waiting for the "hen" to come to him.

Mossygoose

If there is vocal hen, I do everything she does at first, then I start calling louder and try and make her mad. I have had several gobblers come in and take a look.

WildTigerTrout

Quote from: Mossygoose on February 23, 2012, 09:21:04 PM
If there is vocal hen, I do everything she does at first, then I start calling louder and try and make her mad. I have had several gobblers come in and take a look.
I called a boss hen in one time doing just that. I would cut her off and call loudly at her. She got mad and when she came in to challenge me she was dragging her boyfriend behind her. He took a ride home with me!
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

BP1992

Sounds like your purrs just suck.

leasburg

I am no expert by a lonv shot, but last year i had a gob see my b mobil and leave his hens and run back in the woods.  the hens worked the dekes and the gob stayed 50 yrds away in the woods hamering over and over again. all the hens left me to go to him and i went nuts on my slate call like i had never done and all the hens turned around and came back, and the gob couldnt take it and he showed himself.  ended up being a triple beard.  i will always remember that and try to make the hens mad if it ever happens again
Rub it right pro staff, hunt em boats pro staff, proud supporter of floating the 4th shell, take a kid golfing my hunting spots are getting crowded