OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Federal 3rd Degree through Carlson LBXR choke

Started by Dhamilton1, March 28, 2021, 05:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dhamilton1

Bought some federal 3rd degree for cheap at a gun show. Any idea how this will pattern through a Carlson LBXR choke on a 20 gauge Mossburg SA-20 turkey with 22" barrel? The stock choke is around 580-585, any idea how the federal would pattern through that?

2eagles

I tried some of the 3rd degree in my 20 with a Carlson 575. It did fine, but don't expect 40 yard shooter. In my opinion, there's simply not enough bb's in there to  make a dense enough pattern much beyond 30 yards. I'll probably use them when the vegetation and undergrowth makes a long shot improbable. Good luck!

Dhamilton1

Thanks for the input. I also have a box of LBXR #5s. Going to compare them against each other at 15 and 30-35 yards.

2eagles

Second thought! Check those shells to see if they are the old ones with the "flightcontrol " wad. That wad didn't do well through a ported choke tube. The new ones have the "Flitecontrol Flex" and are ok to shoot in a ported tube.

Dhamilton1

Will have to check and see what the box says. Thanks again.

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: 2eagles on March 29, 2021, 07:05:38 AM
Second thought! Check those shells to see if they are the old ones with the "flightcontrol " wad. That wad didn't do well through a ported choke tube. The new ones have the "Flitecontrol Flex" and are ok to shoot in a ported tube.
The old 20 gauge wads were the same material as the "new" flight-control flex wads.  Minor design differences is all that's been done to the 20 wads.  The 12s were the wads that were stiff and hard and didn't like ported chokes
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.