OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mouth Call Care & Storage

Started by Grunt-N-Gobble, May 26, 2011, 12:32:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grunt-N-Gobble

I've heard of and have read different ways on how to care for and store mouth calls after the season is over.

So what is truly the best way to clean them up and store them after the season is over??

Houndstooth Game Calls

You know that is something I have never done always bought fresh each season or built fresh but I have had friends tell me to just sterilize the call with mouth wash then clean it washing it of real good with water then let it dry put something to keep reeds apart like plastic tooth picks and put them in the fridge dried!

mmusso

Quote from: Houndstooth Game Calls on May 26, 2011, 12:43:29 PM
You know that is something I have never done always bought fresh each season or built fresh but I have had friends tell me to just sterilize the call with mouth wash then clean it washing it of real good with water then let it dry put something to keep reeds apart like plastic tooth picks and put them in the fridge dried!
:agreed:

Or at least this is what I do. Working well so far

savduck

I soak mine in  bowl with three parts water, 1 part scope, and one part peroxide for about 5 minutes with tooth picks between the reeds.  Then I take them out and rinse them in tap water. Lay them on a paper towel to dry. store them in a tupperware thing in the frig. i usually get  few seasons out of them.
Georgia Boy

paturkeyhntr

After every use I soak mine in mouth wash and glycerin (food grade).   I mix 1 cup mouth wash to about 3  table spoons of glycerin.  The glycerin keeps the latex from drying out and sticking together.  I store them in the freezer after the season.  The refrigerator takes humidity out of the air and tends to dry out the calls.  The freezer doesn't seem to do that...especially if you don't let the calls dry before putting them in the freezer.