Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Do you have glare issues with your reflex?

Started by cknpro1, March 20, 2021, 06:53:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cknpro1

I bought a cheapo reflex to try. It performed fine in sight-in sessions. But today in the woods a fatal flaw came up. I was sitting on the die of a field with the sun in my face about mid-morning. I took the opportunity to sight on my decoy out in the field just for fun, and I got a glare that just about washed out the entire sight window. I could barely see the decoy at 30 yards out. If I moved 20-30 degrees either way from direct sunlight, it went away. I knew then this pos was out the door. When I got back, I took it off and put on a CenterPoint cheapy red-dot I have and checked it - no glare, least not one that was sight impeding. You could pick up a little reflection from the rear lens, but nothing serious.

Does anyone have similar issues with other reflex sights - Vortex, Burris, etc? I was thinking this was just a factor for this Chinese junk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bwhana

I have not seen this exact issue with my FF3 or the cheap knock off on my backup, but did notice the cheap one is almost impossible to see in full midday sun, even on full brightness, so it will truly be an emergency use only.

TalksToTurkeys

Most optics have an anti-glare coating applied to them that minimizes glare. Maybe the cheaper ones aren't coated. You can buy an anti-glare treatment for eye glasses. I don't know how well it works but it may be worth a try.