OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Cody Turkey Calls

Started by Chris Downs, May 24, 2011, 10:48:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Downs

Another question...I got a lot of good info and feedback from my question on Hooks calls.  I'm also looking into Cody.  Anybody got any insight into them good or bad??  Thanks again guys for all the replies/PMs on the Hooks questions.

savduck

I bought one a few years back. Made a great turkey themed coaster for my end table in my man room.

Much better calls out there in the 35 to 50 buck range.
Georgia Boy

BowBendr

I bought a Cody Envy for about $15 on the Wal-Mart clearance aisle about 7 years ago.
It has a glass playing surface over a wooden soundboard and with the right striker it screams pure bird.

Killed a many o gobblers off that call.......

hookedspur

Quote from: BowBendr on May 24, 2011, 11:04:35 PM
I bought a Cody Envy for about $15 on the Wal-Mart clearance aisle about 7 years ago.
It has a glass playing surface over a wooden soundboard and with the right striker it screams pure bird.

Killed a many o gobblers off that call.......

:agreed: Cody calls I own all sound pure turkey
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

clarksvalley

got a world class slate a few years back for a gift for being in the wedding party, there actually made not far from where i live.definetly talks turkey and has a place in my vest.

redowl

i had a envy glass call  for years called in a lot of birds with it. finally broke .i replaced the glass with aluminum.it still sounds good.i wonder if im the only one with a aluminum cody.

TarheelTurk

i"ve used the ENvy (glass over glass&wood or jus wood sound board not sure) and what i call his cheaper line the Turkline slate from WMart a few years ago. I used both to call in & when fortunate enough harvested for myself or several friends. Switched up from the original striker though. Used them until this past spring when i statred making my own pot calls. I dont think Cody is a bad call but for the $ im sure several people on here would love to make you a true custom call. My 2cents worth.

I must correct this b/c the Cody call i used was a Cody II not the envy. Bought it from Mack praire wings years ago. Evrything else is still correct. opps
Grandads Advice : "Sometimes its better to be quit and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubts" LOL

Chris Downs

Thanks guys for the input.  Anybody have/use the newer Drop Dead Series slate or glass from them??

boatpaddle

Drop dead series are  fine sounding turkey calls..... :you_rock:
Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

savduck

I must have gotten a bad one.
Georgia Boy

Jbird22

I have one of the older Envy glass calls from Walmart and it has been the death of a few. Good call for the coins that's for sure!

Skeeterbait

I have owned a pair of Cody II's for many years and they have killed many turkeys.  I considered buying the DD Series and found out a friend had a pair so I got to compare them to my Cody II's.  The DD's have a slightly higher pitch but all four calls have great tone, rasp, rollover and finish.  Not enough difference to make me buy the DD's but I would probably select the DD's if I didn't already have the Cody II's.  For the money though the Cody II's will kill turkeys just as well.  I will say I do not like their thick heavy strikers though.   I found bell tipped WoodHaven hardwood strikers run them much better.  Cody calls are not much to look at but they make as authentic turkey sounds as any.

TarheelTurk

Quote from: Skeeterbait on June 03, 2011, 08:24:05 PM
  I found bell tipped WoodHaven hardwood strikers run them much better.

Funny  :z-winnersmiley:Thats exactly what i found out too.Love the Woodhaven striker w/ my Cody II. I Thought i put that in my earlier post but i read back and saw i just said i switched from the original striker.
Grandads Advice : "Sometimes its better to be quit and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubts" LOL

decoykrvr

I bought a slate World Class from Bill in 1993, for the unheard price of $65.  I've got a bunch of pot calls, including other Cody's, factory calls, and custom calls which I rotate in and out of my vest depending on the weather, what is working, and my temperment.  Unless it's raining cats and dogs, the World Class is always in my vest.  I've talked to and called in literally hundreds of birds, and a few hunters, with that call.  Bill and Debbie Zearing are fine folks and stand by and behind their calls.
Craig

justjohn

Like my CodyII and it I like the sound better with my Woodhaven striker better.

John