OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Stevens 301T .410

Started by erikmcgarrh, February 16, 2020, 09:44:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

limhnger

Quote from: jmart241 on March 13, 2020, 07:24:49 PM
Impressive is the bottom target indian creek .390 and were they shot with clean barrel thanks

Barrel bore snaked after each shot...

762hunter

Finally got mine out
Sighted in the red dot with field loads then moved target to 40 yards and started using the Federal TSS 9's, 106 in a 10 inch circle.

Hopefully it will get better, may try the Apex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skimerhorn

Deep cleaning mine more then doubled the number of hits I had in the 10 at 40yds

tracker#1

This was using Foxtrot  383 strokers with #8s tss. Using IC .390 because of larger shot.  I counted 119 in 10 " @ 40. I polished the barrel yesterday, hoping  that will improve the pattern.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Leadchunker

Apex ninjas night an day difference than federals

bigriverbum

Quote from: 762hunter on March 15, 2020, 03:29:28 PM
Finally got mine out
Sighted in the red dot with field loads then moved target to 40 yards and started using the Federal TSS 9's, 106 in a 10 inch circle.

Hopefully it will get better, may try the Apex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So it comes with the extra full choke for tss. What all can i safely shoot through that choke when I first sight it in?

Sorry if stupid question. Never shot tss before. If I want to play with it at the range or say squirrel hunt with it do I need to buy other chokes?

bigriverbum

Can i shoot brass through the extra full? I think I read not to shoot steel through it

Isomaad

Limhnger, your 301, Ninja, and IC .390 combo is smokin! Best pattern I have seen yet and it's the same set up I'll be using. I haven't got to shoot mine yet since East Tn. has been a tropical rain forest forever it seems.

bigriverbum

ttt

could someone be so kind as to walk me through how you sighted in your savage 301? what kinds of shot you used and in what order?  thanks.

tracker#1

I couldn't afford an expensive red dot so I put a Bushnell T-25. It sits high so I bought a cheap stock comb slip-on with rifle shell holder. Amazon has a huge selection in different price ranges. The .410 shells fit nicely. I zeroed in on a range bench rested. I bought cheaper factory loads lead #8s. I started at 10 yards, 15 yards, 20 yards and jumped to 40 yards. I shoot Foxtrot ammo, 383 strokers, #8s TSS. Once I was at 40 and on POA with lead, I shot 2 of the strokers that shot a little higher. Made adjustments then to POA. I have a result target posted on this thread. Deep clean your barrel first. Run a snake or patch between shots. I have "polished" the barrel since the last post and will be shooting soon hoping for better results. I have to keep in mind though I'm shooting #8s (NY) and not 9s,9.5s or 10s which naturally will give you a higher 10" count. Rule of thumb is "100" in the 10" is your maximum range.

bigriverbum

Quote from: tracker#1 on March 22, 2020, 09:27:47 AM
I couldn't afford an expensive red dot so I put a Bushnell T-25. It sits high so I bought a cheap stock comb slip-on with rifle shell holder. Amazon has a huge selection in different price ranges. The .410 shells fit nicely. I zeroed in on a range bench rested. I bought cheaper factory loads lead #8s. I started at 10 yards, 15 yards, 20 yards and jumped to 40 yards. I shoot Foxtrot ammo, 383 strokers, #8s TSS. Once I was at 40 and on POA with lead, I shot 2 of the strokers that shot a little higher. Made adjustments then to POA. I have a result target posted on this thread. Deep clean your barrel first. Run a snake or patch between shots. I have "polished" the barrel since the last post and will be shooting soon hoping for better results. I have to keep in mind though I'm shooting #8s (NY) and not 9s,9.5s or 10s which naturally will give you a higher 10" count. Rule of thumb is "100" in the 10" is your maximum range.

thank you sir.

i too got a tr-25 and will be going through these steps.  appreciate your help

jmart241

Shot mine in the other day with cheap shells at 12 yards deep cleaned it shot a apex at 40 yards hit right on goodluck

bigriverbum

Shot new gun on tuesday. Struggled getting tr25 centered with lead , but it was fun shooting.

At 40 I was getting 130 in 10" circle wit federals. Brownings looked good too

tracker#1

Sounds like your in the game

762hunter

I bought this gun as a gun for kids/girlfriend/me, was thinking about another choke if they can be found.

I ordered some Apex 9.5's and going to do a good cleaning and try them out.

I'm seeing several different options out now.
What are the favorite choke/shell combos?

Also what numbers in the 10 should be expected at 40yds?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk