News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

NWTF's YouTube annocment of marketing change opinion

Started by topnotch, February 25, 2021, 08:28:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GobbleNut

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 26, 2021, 03:45:23 PM
So i have a question, if we lose the NWTF and this TFT fall to the wayside, what platform will we have to raise funds to save the habitat. 80 percent of the wildlife budget is from the sales of hunting and fishing licenses and  excise tax on sale of guns and ammo. So if we don't have these organizations to help make up the difference and we will lose public land easements and hunters what's the future hold? SO again for you who dislike this NWTF, what is your plan of action in helping secure these lands for future generation? I'm hearing a lot of I DON't like this or that, but i'm not hearing what YOUR plan of action would be for the future of hunting if you don't contribute to the NWTF. Way i look at it, if your not contributing or joining the NWTF, you really don't have a voice, it's like if you don't vote, you have not voice in the fight. I'm just asking, this is not to make people mad, i just want you to tell me your plan to help save the habitat and hunters. NOT all hunters have private land to hunt.

I agree that this is a double-edged sword.  Yes, we do need turkey hunters banded together in a unified force to make our voices heard.  NWTF has/had been that voice since 1973. Early on, there is no question that our unified voice under the NWTF banner made a big difference in bringing the wild turkey to the forefront in terms of its importance as a game species.   

The other edge of that sword, though, is that far too many of us have witnessed the transition of the NWTF leadership from "it's all about the wild turkey" to "it's all about the money".  The vision of the leadership has changed from the first to the second in the eyes of a great many of us that were involved with NWTF from the beginning. 

I totally agree that we still need the unified voice that the NWTF, or maybe the new kid in town, TFT, provides us.  But for far too many of us, changes in the direction the NWTF has taken have got to occur.  Our "unified voice" at this point in time is to tell the NWTF that they have gone off the rails and that if they want the support of "Average Joe" turkey hunter, they have got to get back on track.   

From a personal perspective, when NWTF puts their emphasis and their money back on doing all they can to fix the obvious problems our wild turkey populations are facing, I will jump right back on board.  Until I see some clear signs that they are doing that, and not primarily trying to keep their infrastructure and salary base afloat, I am out.   

Ol timer

All this bashing of what Happened in 2008, 13 years ago. Do I like that you tube commercial No! But to say that the NWTF is doing nothing is nonsense when you don't know what is going on if your not interested as a non member. Instead you should be asking what is your states F&W management doing with your license money. I can tell you that the State chapter has finally got my states F&W to agree on partnering up and planting seed on WMA that the State abandoned planting anything on for over 15 years in most areas. If it wasn't for the NWTF to push the issue to save the hunt save the habitat program it would not of happened. So the blame game goes around on all sides if your not willing to get on board with your states programs don't bitch.

Howie g

Unless there's something I'm unaware of ? , I haven't seen a single thing the nwtf has done pro active in the southeast in years . They used to help with a couple of wma youth events and hunts . They planted seedlings / gated roads for brooding habitat etc , like gobblenut stated   They will not get my money again until I see it being put to work ...

RiverBuck

Well... They burn thru 41 million a year doing something but I'm in the same boat. They have almost 34 million in program expenses and see they pay out over 6 million in salaries.. 1.5 million in fundraising expenses.

I don't see any type proactive land acquisition and zero in federated campaigns but get over 2.7 mil in government grants.

It makes me think I chose the wrong path in life. I should have started a non-profit.

TJR

I'll be spending my money supporting Turkeys for Tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tail Feathers

They paid money for that new logo?  Nice videography but a lot of people can do that cheap with a $600 camera.  Hope they didn't waste too much on it.
They seem to be focusing on hunter recruitment when the resource is in decline and they don't really address that.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Bonefishbill

Quote from: Bowguy on February 25, 2021, 09:11:55 AM
Supposed to be about marketing. I'm sorry but I believe men should be men. If I was on a job and some guy wearing a man bun started talking I'd just not be interested in what he was saying . I wish him no harm but I'd stay away. They're strategy is working great. I turned away from video

Agree 100 %. I've been hunting for 50 years and spent 45 years in marketing, advertising and promotion.  This new logo is shameful. As soon as I saw the man bun guy it explained everything. Totally turned off! There is no need for a logo change, and what they are presenting is pure garbage. Becky needs replaced, a Regional NWTF guy told me She is trying to " put her stamp" on NWTF  .. this logo change will turn off the NWTF base ( primarily hunters) and will not attract "younger people and non-hunters " to the magnificent bird. Turkeys are not ducks!
Can we please have Rob back?

lowoctane

Quote from: Jimspur on February 26, 2021, 08:41:40 AM
My issue with the video is it seemed to be heavy on marketing and reinventing the brand and talking about how the logo appealed to younger hunters blah, blah, blah. I don't really give a crap about your 2nd grade looking logo. All the money they paid for this slick marketing BS could have benefited the wild turkey.

I want to know what percentage of money I donate is going to salaries, costs, etcetera, and how much is going to the wild turkey.

I am all for protecting the resource for future generations to come, I just don't want the bulk of my money going to marketing and advertising firms and corporate types that are making a living off of my dollar. I want my money helping turkeys. So instead of all this marketing BS, why not just come out and say hey - in the past some things were done that we don't feel were right but we have new leadership and are going to move in a new direction and want to earn your trust back. You lose me when you start talking about branding and creating a new logo that studies show appeals to a younger audience blah, blah, blah.

Now I only watched 21 minutes of the video so maybe they touched on these points. If they did then someone can correct me.

Yes sir! Solid questions that need solid answers on where the money actually goes is what's needed instead of some effeminate guy attempting to appeal to who knows what. This is the business world they're looking to entice not some junior high school get together. I'm all for an individual's right to look like they want but I know that you only get one shot at a first impression. FAIL.
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Cowboy

Quote from: Bonefishbill on May 10, 2021, 10:51:25 AM
Quote from: Bowguy on February 25, 2021, 09:11:55 AM
Supposed to be about marketing. I'm sorry but I believe men should be men. If I was on a job and some guy wearing a man bun started talking I'd just not be interested in what he was saying . I wish him no harm but I'd stay away. They're strategy is working great. I turned away from video

Agree 100 %. I've been hunting for 50 years and spent 45 years in marketing, advertising and promotion.  This new logo is shameful. As soon as I saw the man bun guy it explained everything. Totally turned off! There is no need for a logo change, and what they are presenting is pure garbage. Becky needs replaced, a Regional NWTF guy told me She is trying to " put her stamp" on NWTF  .. this logo change will turn off the NWTF base ( primarily hunters) and will not attract "younger people and non-hunters " to the magnificent bird. Turkeys are not ducks!
Can we please have Rob back?
Bring on Rob !

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

After seeing this come up again I went back to watch the video again and sorry, I hate it even more now than I did then. I will never buy anything with that logo on it, looks like it was made by a drunken blind child on acid.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

g8rvet

Sorry, I did not read the whole thread, but it sounds like NWTF went all Ducks Unlimited and that TFT is Delta Waterfowl.  Does that sum it up?

Money screws up the best of intentions.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Chordeiles

Quote from: topnotch on February 25, 2021, 08:28:09 AM
Just watched for 3rd time the YouTube video, NWTF put out announcing their consulting company's suggested changes to logo and marketing.
Not sure I'm onboard with it.
Found it interesting some of the consultants were new to hunting.
Also noted no turkey mounts (seen ducks and deer) in background
Of presenters.
Not a fan of new logo :(
I'm amazed that anyone could watch that video once......much less three times.

Jimspur

Quote from: Chordeiles on May 11, 2021, 02:37:22 AM
Quote from: topnotch on February 25, 2021, 08:28:09 AM
Just watched for 3rd time the YouTube video, NWTF put out announcing their consulting company's suggested changes to logo and marketing.
Not sure I'm onboard with it.
Found it interesting some of the consultants were new to hunting.
Also noted no turkey mounts (seen ducks and deer) in background
Of presenters.
Not a fan of new logo :(
I'm amazed that anyone could watch that video once......much less three times.

3 times! I can't believe I watched for 21 minutes! Hahaha!

deerhunt1988

NWTF still getting raked over the coals about the logo change on their Facebook posts.

I'm definitely not a fan of the logo, but I am a bit surprised about folks still bashing them for it months later. Looks like it was definitely a major mistake on their part and appears some folks won't be joining back up because of it.