OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Osage Orange/Hedge for stikers?

Started by DeWayne Knight, May 23, 2011, 08:39:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeWayne Knight

What is everyone's thoughts on Hedge for strikers?  I've got a decent supply of it in sizes that would be good for strikers.

decoykrvr

I've made strikers out of fresh-cut seasoned osage as well as "mud" osage.  Both make good strikers which play between a really hard, dense wood ie., brazilian cherry, ebony, and a softer wood like cedar, apple.  In my experience the dark green colored "mud" osage is harder and has a higher pitch and I like it more than the seasoned osage.  Most days, I'll have an osage striker in my vest.

a-j calls

lightsoutcalls

I'm getting ready to order some osage blanks myself.
I turn it differently for different purposes.  If I have a call that doesn't want to break over well, I turn an osage striker with a bit heavier top and a slightly thicker peg.  This works wonders for calls that are tempramental that way.
In general, I turn an osage striker a bit thinner than most of my strikers due to the density of the wood.  It makes an awesome striker for most any surface when turned a tiny bit thinner.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

West Augusta

No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Roost Wrecker

DeWayne Knight

Thanks for the feedback guys!  I've got a couple dozen 1.5" square x 12" pieces of Osage Orange that need a purpose...