OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

A good show Friday afternoon

Started by jwm1485, April 25, 2021, 07:47:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwm1485

I got up to where I was going to be hunting for the weekend Friday afternoon. I got my dad and uncle set up with there blinds then went out to find a place for myself. I ended up finding a spot in the corner of a pretty good sized field. I set up about 10 yards into the woods with 2 decoys out in the field. I used a laydown hen with a 1/4 jake set up behind it. After sitting for awhile and calling about every 15 - 25 minutes I saw a bird come walk onto the field and start heading towards the decoys. Once it got a little closer I could see it was a hen. While watching the hen I see some movement out of the corner of my eye from the same spot the hen came from. Three more birds. Another hen and 2 gobblers. As the hen walk onto the field the 2 gobblers struted for a few seconds at the edge of the field and went back into the woods. Im thinking dang the decoys must have made them nervous. I could still see them walking parallel to the field about 25 yards into the woods. I start to think im not out of the game yet  I might get a shot at one of them if they keep coming through the woods like they are now. As the got closer I was contemplating how to swing my gun to the right without spooking them when they finally made it down in the woods about parallel to my decoys. All of a sudden they both sprinted to the decoys and started putting a whooping on my jake. They were really giving it to him and the hen got flippwd around getting caught in the crossfire. Finally 1 stood still long enough and stuck its head up and bang. He hit the ground flopping while the other just stood there confused. Eventually they all ran of and I was able to claim my prize.
Thanks for reading.

JeffC

Congrats , its always special when you have the time to enjoy "the show".  Good luck to your dad and uncle.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

lowoctane

I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Yoteduster

Vintage

Muzzy61

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr