News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Carrying Binoculars

Started by Greg Massey, February 20, 2021, 11:38:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbcoach

Quote from: Big Jeremy on February 23, 2021, 01:02:35 PM
I use the Leupold chest harness (exact concept as the Crooked Horn harness) that came with my 10x42 Gold Rings that I got years ago. Fantastic glass...too bad they don't make it anymore. The system works for me.

I did try a Vortex Glass Pak to see how it would work because I would like to have a little more protection for them. Didn't work for me. The main reason is that they fold back toward my body, leaving the cover in my way when wearing them at the spot of my chest that I want them at...it's even worse when deer hunting out of a saddle, which is about 75% of my archery deer hunting from an elevated position. I do feel like an enclosed harness like many use that folds down, away from your body, would work for me, but I haven't sprung for one yet. I would like to try one out first, but don't know anyone that has one near me. I'll probably just pony up and get one at some point to see how it does.
Jeremy, I have the same problem with the Glass Pak.  What I do is turn the top of the cover inside out and stick it behind the body of the Glass Pak and my chest.  It will usually stay put and out of the way.  By doing this, it makes the binos more easily accessible as well.

Heavy Load

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on February 23, 2021, 09:55:44 AM
Quote from: Heavy Load on February 23, 2021, 09:13:05 AM
Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on February 20, 2021, 11:42:39 AM
I've moved to some Cabelas Compact HD binos and actually tote them in a Marsupial rangefinder pouch. I'll never go back to anything larger for where I live, what I hunt, and the ground I hunt. They're incredible. Unfathomably light. And I usually just run the pouch onto my chest strap of my pack. It's like that pouch was made for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are those cabela's 10x42's?

Sent from my motorola one zoom using Tapatalk
No, they're 8x25. They make a 10x25 as well but I've always preferred the lower magnification as it gets you a larger exit pupil (i.e. gathers more light and better in dim situations).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Priced right to, thanks.

Sent from my motorola one zoom using Tapatalk

There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing.

Big Jeremy

Quote from: bbcoach on February 23, 2021, 01:24:31 PM
Quote from: Big Jeremy on February 23, 2021, 01:02:35 PM
I use the Leupold chest harness (exact concept as the Crooked Horn harness) that came with my 10x42 Gold Rings that I got years ago. Fantastic glass...too bad they don't make it anymore. The system works for me.

I did try a Vortex Glass Pak to see how it would work because I would like to have a little more protection for them. Didn't work for me. The main reason is that they fold back toward my body, leaving the cover in my way when wearing them at the spot of my chest that I want them at...it's even worse when deer hunting out of a saddle, which is about 75% of my archery deer hunting from an elevated position. I do feel like an enclosed harness like many use that folds down, away from your body, would work for me, but I haven't sprung for one yet. I would like to try one out first, but don't know anyone that has one near me. I'll probably just pony up and get one at some point to see how it does.
Jeremy, I have the same problem with the Glass Pak.  What I do is turn the top of the cover inside out and stick it behind the body of the Glass Pak and my chest.  It will usually stay put and out of the way.  By doing this, it makes the binos more easily accessible as well.

Yeah, that would work, but it then doesn't offer much more protection than I already have with just the chest harness that doesn't enclose the binos. If I were to have a fully enclosed harness, I would want it to be able to be easily opened and closed without impeding my tree stand/saddle/turkey vest. There are a few that look like they would work, I just haven't tried one out yet.

cknpro1

Currently debating this myself. I have an older pair of Steiner Predator 10x24. Nice glass but a little heavy. Trying to lighten my loadout so looking at monoculars too.  I fondled some Cabela's 8x compacts and like them too. But I am also considering just some cheaps so in case I loose them crawling around I won't have lost much.

Anybody use monoculars?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GobbleGitr

I have a Nikon Monarch I carry on a Crooked Horn binocular harness-great setup

greencop01

I use a Zeiss 10x42 and put then in a an older Crooked Horn harness case.
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!