Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Why all the hype about scopes on shotguns?

Started by rempumpman, May 23, 2011, 12:25:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rempumpman

I am in NO WAY AGAINST anyone putting a scope on their favorite turkey slayer but was wondering is it really an advantage? I have seen the popularity of scopes grow big time over the last couple of years but I have been very skeptical about putting one on my shotgun; I am not against change and it may be that I need an education on this subject;

Ya'll might change this ol' man mind if you can truly prove why it's better to have one;  ok, let me have it............... :TrainWreck1:................rem
God has always provided the tree, but you never read where he built the nest.

joey46

Scopes are always a trade off for me.  I have one barrel, a 24" cantilever, equipped with a 4x Simmons Master Series scope.  If I'm shooting at an unalerted bird it is great.  If however the bird catches movement or for some reason starts to "hot foot" it right before the shot I would prefer to have my standard unscoped barrel with just two sighting beads.   I have patterned both barrels and often make a last minute decision based on the weather, terrain, etc.  Either barrel works fine.  If I had to chose only one it would be the scoped.  

stone road turkey calls

Get some glasses, they will solve your problem.
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

ILIKEHEVI-13

Well if you got a shotgun that will shoot deadcenter patterns with your open bead at all yardages I wouldn't worry about getting a scope.  But most factory beads won't allow you to do this.  My 870 is close, but it still shoots a hair off it seems.  I may be putting a Tasco Tru Brite sight on it next year.  My 835 is worse yet and that's why I have a Tasco dot sight on it.  You still have to put the dot on the intended target and aim and hold steady, but no more worrying about your pattern being a tad high or low or left or right or a combination of these.

TnHunter

Been thinking about putting one on my super mag next year also, don't know for sure if it will help or not just looks cool.   ;D
Life is good today

davisd9

I added a Simmon 4x32 to my 835 this year.  I was not sure when I did it.  Did not know if I would like it and grew up where a shotgun is point and shoot with little aim, unless you are shooting slugs.  When I added the scope my father-in-law gave me some grief, lol.  After shooting my first bird with it and then a second I am going to get a new 20 gauge 870 express this off season and I am going to scope it.  I feel very confident with it and it has given me new confidence in shooting.  Do not regret the decision.  Some people do not like anything other than a bead and others will swear by a red dot, try one out and use what fits you.  Good luck!

[attachment deleted by admin]
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

redarrow

Well,cataracts.6 tears to my retinas,and a macular edema have taken their toll on my peepers. I cannot see the bead on the end of a barrel. Glasses do not help with shooting at all. So in order to continue doing what I love to do,I have scopes on all my guns. I'm even thinking about building a dedicated 20 ga. singles shot with 4x for squirrels.

bad0351

I don't think its any better just a matter of personal preference....I used the new Nikon turkey pro this. Year and really liked it....much better on my old eyes.

Dale
Sometimes...all a man has left is his dog.....

ILIKEHEVI-13

That is one mean lookin shotgun.  I really do like it.   :z-guntootsmiley:

VanHelden Game Calls

Because when they get so close your shot is about the size of a golf ball it would be nice to have something with a little more precision.

At least I am now thinking of a dot type sight.  Yup you guessed it I know first hand this year :TooFunny:

beagler

Quote from: madarchery on May 23, 2011, 02:01:27 PM
Because when they get so close your shot is about the size of a golf ball it would be nice to have something with a little more precision.
Yep.
Not to mention I hunt predators at night and really like the red dot for that reason as well. I have an Aimpoint 9000sc on my Mossberg 835 and Benelli SBE 2 and love them.

Never Misses

GOLD HUNTER

I have glasses and with them I cannot see the 2 beads on the barre and the bird at the same time.

i put a scope on my 1300 years ago and can put the X dead on then heads  :newmascot:

brian

natman

IMO, while scopes work, they don't offer enough improvement to be worth the weight, bulk, cost and effort.

I'm old enough that I don't hunt with open sights anymore with a rifle. I do use a set of adjustable fiber optic open sights on my turkey gun and I can put the red blur between the two green blurs well enough to hit a turkey every time.

Calling in a turkey is hard. Shooting a turkey is easy.

The target is more or less stationary.

The target is 50 yards or less away.

Tight pattern or no, you're shooting at it with a shotgun. 1/4 MOA accuracy isn't necessary.

It's the easiest shot in hunting. A scope is not required.

HogBiologist

Natman you would think it aint hard, but in reality it can be.  with tight patterns and bead sights at 40 yards if you are not POA POI then you can miss.  Also even though I have perfect 20/20, I still missed a bird because of a limb at 35 yds.  Never saw the limb until I got down there.  I dont notice the extra weight.  Seriously, If a few extra ounces add too much weight, then they need to do some exercises.  To me it is way easier to walk out the woods with an extra 20 lbs, LOL!
Certified Wildlife Biologist

jfair

I have a Simmons on my 11-87 and have for 15 years.  If I were to buy one now, it would probably be one of the red dots.  The big advantage that I see is when you get one of those leaning shots, when you tilt the gun because he came from a weird direction.  I would have a problem, on those shots, making sure everything is lined up.  With the scope, when the crosshairs are on him, you are on him.

The only time I don't like them is on rainy days.  I have never lost complete vision through the Simmons, but the rain drops on the lens make it hard sometimes.