turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New Pot Call- Woodhaven vs Halloran

Started by Johnhunter21, February 15, 2021, 12:17:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnhunter21

Hi, I have always had cheaper slate Pot calls and am looking to upgrade. I have seen good reviews on the David Halloran calls as well as Woodhaven, I am just deciding which models have the best reviews since I can not try out in person. I am not familiar with Crystal calls as I have always had slate but just curious was everyones opinions are between these 2 call makers and their favorite model and what they have had success with. I am kind of leaning towards the David Halloran since the Woodhaven seems more commercialized. Thanks everyone and good luck this spring!

ChesterCopperpot

I love Halloran's calls, but make no mistake, at this point in the game, his calls are commercial. If you're wanting a truly custom callmaker there are plenty of brilliant ones listed over and over on this forum that make very, very fine slates. If you're choosing between the two makers you've named I would lean Halloran, but that's just me.

Yelper

Agree that both are large scale turkey call makers, giving the choice I would look at Woodhaven Cherry Crystal, It is one of there best. Even thou they are a large scale operation they are still built by the folks in the shop. I like the sound of the Cherry crystal better. JMO

Rzrbac

Quote from: Yelper on February 15, 2021, 01:05:07 PM
Agree that both are large scale turkey call makers, giving the choice I would look at Woodhaven Cherry Crystal, It is one of there best. Even thou they are a large scale operation they are still built by the folks in the shop. I like the sound of the Cherry crystal better. JMO

X2

I've had one of each and those before either maker got to be a larger producer of calls. Of the two I owned, the Cherry Classic Crystal was the better sounding call but the Crystal Mistress wasn't far behind it.

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on February 15, 2021, 12:35:23 PM
I love Halloran's calls, but make no mistake, at this point in the game, his calls are commercial. If you're wanting a truly custom callmaker there are plenty of brilliant ones listed over and over on this forum that make very, very fine slates. If you're choosing between the two makers you've named I would lean Halloran, but that's just me.
I agree with this.  Although Halloran's Crystal Mistress is the only crystal/glass call I currently own, it sounds good and is a consistent performer.  The pots I've purchased this year are all from small shop, custom call makers that I've investigated a good bit.  Many times their products are very reasonably priced too.  I tend to gravitate more to the ones that have good reviews on this site as Facebook seems inundated with custom turkey call makers that you can't find info on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Greg Massey

My suggestion before you buy a call from one of those 2 calls your talking about, i would contact one of these call builders and see what they have available or if they can build you a pot call Larry Buster Halford, Clay Townsend or Mark Cornelius.. Regardless if you pick someone else, i would get good custom call...

3bailey3

I agree with Greg get one from Buster or Clay!

Bowguy

Spitten and drummen

Play them both and you decide. Both sound like turkeys and work. It comes down to your ear and confidence in your call.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

peak98

I'd recommend an Outlaw Hen and/or Hot Hen from Lonnie Sneed. He's still making them (will help from his grandson) but no telling for how much longer. He's a fine man, who builds outstanding calls. Their are plenty of small shop, custom call makers who build outstanding calls, but I'd start with Mr. Lonnie's.
peak98
Your weapon sits on top of you shoulders, everything else is just equipment.

Johnhunter21

Chris Downs

My picks in those lines would be the Halloran Crystal Mistress and the Woodhaven Vision Crystal. The Halloran is much cheaper but I think better sounding. None of the Woodhaven crystals sound better to me than the Vision Crystal. Just my $.02

captpete

Personally I like the sound of the Woodhaven Cherry Classic Crystal. Another very good option is Jimmy Schaffer...Oak Ridge Custom Turkey Calls. His crystal calls (along with his others) are hard to beat.

Old Gobbler

Listen to the YouTube videos of the calls...any calls for the matter of the fact and base your judgment on that

Both calls you mentioned are great calls,  I've run most of woodhavens pot calls and can assertively state that they are 100% turkey and will kill ..the rest is up to you...David's calls are great too...hey ...buy both !
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Crghss

No experience with Woodhaven.

I have Halloran's Crystal Mistress and love it. Here in South Florida I need surfaces that can handle the humidity. Which this call does. Love my slates but a lot of mornings they won't work here.

I started with a surface I wanted then found the call maker I liked. For me.....
Halloran - crystal
Stumpy - ceramic
Buster - slate
Yingling - copper

You get the idea. Lots of options.

Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...