OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Old Gobbler Wing

Started by tha bugman, February 12, 2021, 12:57:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tha bugman

I have a wing from a gobbler that I killed two years ago.  Would it still be good enough to make a wing bone call out of?

Chris O

I would say probably if it was suitable to begin with. I know I sent some to a person that were in my freezer for a couple years

tha bugman

Quote from: Chris O on February 12, 2021, 01:14:53 PM
I would say probably if it was suitable to begin with. I know I sent some to a person that were in my freezer for a couple years
this one has been hanging in my shop. 

albrubacker

Should be fine. May clean up harder though.
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

davisd9

Not all turkey wingbones make a good call, but only way to know is to send them to someone that knows what they are doing. Good luck!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

EZ

Quote from: tha bugman on February 12, 2021, 01:19:33 PM
Quote from: Chris O on February 12, 2021, 01:14:53 PM
this one has been hanging in my shop.

The whole wing? Is it all dried up and petrified? Might be near impossible to even get the bones out of the wing at this point.

EZ

However, if you can get the bones out, I can (almost certainly) make a real player out of it!!!

Clovis67

Razor knife and rehydrate the skin if necessary

Fatbeard

Should be fine if frozen. Be a tad hard to get the marrow out. Send them my way and I can make you a nice call
East TN Beard Buster

tha bugman

After looking at it, I think I am just going to wait on the next gobbler I kill.  The one that I have is really dried out as you can imagine.

crow

I have done this to some dried out winter kill wings.

I think you can salvage yours, this is what I would try

chop off as much feathers to get rid of them as you can, chop off the wing tip, don't chop into the joint of the middle section of wing.

boil for a couple hrs with several scoops of dry laundry detergent, keep covered with water while boiling.
this should rehydrate the skin on the bones and should let you skin/scrape it off.

To clean out the marrow, separate the 3 bones, cut off ends (only enough to get to the marrow), you will need a wire to push out the marrow, it probably will still be dry and hard and may not come out.

reboil for an hour or 2 with laundry soap, probably will still need a wire to push out the marrow.
may need another boil with soap.

If your sending them to some one I would talk to them at this point.

if your doing it yourself I would soak overnight in peroxide to help clean out more dried marrow.
The outside of bones probably won't come out a nice even white and may have a blotchy look, this won't matter for a hunting call, put some stain on it to blend in the blotchy areas.