turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Birds Going Silent

Started by mountaineer long beard, January 28, 2021, 09:20:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WTNUT

I didn't read all the responses I did see were good.  I hunt Ohio most often,  and my belief is the sheer number of coyotes in recent years has impacted the amount of "gobbling" after the tom hit the ground.  I do have a very robust turkey population and agree hens will shut him up and go to him spoiling you plans.   But,  in your hypothetical,  if I do not hear hens on the roost before he hits the ground I sit tight. I cluck very little and rake some leaves.  I sit tight until about 7:30 or 8:00 in that situation. 

If I hear hens and he goes to them,  I try to back out and come back.  I do that because I am hunting a large piece of property with more birds than patients.   If I am on another''s property and the tract is small I sight tight.   He will often come back mid morning - but dang that is hard for me to do.  I was born and bred to be a run and gun guy.   I have to UTMOST respect for the guys and gals that can sit there and wait them out!   

mountaineer long beard

Quote from: WTNUT on January 29, 2021, 10:03:46 PM
I didn't read all the responses I did see were good.  I hunt Ohio most often,  and my belief is the sheer number of coyotes in recent years has impacted the amount of "gobbling" after the tom hit the ground.  I do have a very robust turkey population and agree hens will shut him up and go to him spoiling you plans.   But,  in your hypothetical,  if I do not hear hens on the roost before he hits the ground I sit tight. I cluck very little and rake some leaves.  I sit tight until about 7:30 or 8:00 in that situation. 

If I hear hens and he goes to them,  I try to back out and come back.  I do that because I am hunting a large piece of property with more birds than patients.   If I am on another''s property and the tract is small I sight tight.   He will often come back mid morning - but dang that is hard for me to do.  I was born and bred to be a run and gun guy.   I have to UTMOST respect for the guys and gals that can sit there and wait them out!

What would you consider a small tract? I hunt a couple places, one area is several properties together that total around 700 acres. The other piece is my property and two neighbors that total around 200. As far as I can tell there isn't much pressure around the smaller tract. I just moved here last spring so not real sure.

I'm the only one that turkey hunts the large tract but there is a good bit of pressure from surrounding properties.

Mike

WTNUT

Quote from: mountaineer long beard on January 31, 2021, 10:35:48 AM
Quote from: WTNUT on January 29, 2021, 10:03:46 PM

What would you consider a small tract? I hunt a couple places, one area is several properties together that total around 700 acres. The other piece is my property and two neighbors that total around 200. As far as I can tell there isn't much pressure around the smaller tract. I just moved here last spring so not real sure.

I'm the only one that turkey hunts the large tract but there is a good bit of pressure from surrounding properties.

Mike

Good question.   It should probably be based on turkey population rather than total acreage.  For me,  100 acres might be a small tract.   But,  if there is a really strong population of birds and you could leave your first bird and stand a good chance of running into another in 20-30 minutes that really would be okay regardless of tract size.  If you think chances are slim to none when it comes to finding another bird to work sit tight.   Sorry for the confusion.

mountaineer long beard

No worries I'm just trying to figure out what I've been doing wrong so maybe I can increase my chances of success this spring. I'm not sure what the turkey numbers are in either place I hunt but I do know I used to hear a lot more 10 to 15 years ago.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

shaman

I read through this thread and it jogged my memory of an article I wrote in my Turkey & Turkey Hunting Days on this very subject.

Where do turkeys go after Flydown?

Enjoy.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

avidnwoutdoorsman

I usually hand out for about an hour... then might go in the opposite direction for 2 but will come back within 3.... or I just wait it out until mid day. Chances are he followed his hens but he didnt forget about you and that is what I count on.
Keep Calm and Gobble On!