OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Need help with Hawaii? Military family moving.

Started by ShootingABN!, February 05, 2021, 10:37:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GobbleNut

I will make one additional comment on turkey hunting there,...and take it as a word of advice for anyone going over there. 

When we went, we bought the turkey license online after jumping through the hoops needed to do so.  In that process, we were NEVER told that we had to have (and buy) carcass tags to hunt them,...and I had talked to them directly over the phone at least a couple of times about the licensing system! 

The only way we ever found out about that is that when we went to scout the day before we were planning on hunting, we ran into a couple of local guys at the check station going into one of the public areas.  We started talking to them about the turkey hunting and it just so happened that they had killed a gobbler and had it in their truck.

We asked to see their bird and when they showed it to us, we saw it had a tag on it.  Come to find out that we had to go to one of two DNR offices (one in Hilo and one in Waimea) during their business hours to buy the carcass tags so we could hunt.  We ended up having to drive an extra hour away from where we were staying to get the tags, and it turned out we barely made it to the office right before it closed. 

If we had not made it on time, we would have had to wait three days until the office opened again to get the turkey tags!  Unless they have changed things, if you are turkey hunting there, even if you buy your turkey license online, you still have to go to one of the local offices to buy the carcass tags to be legal to hunt.

Now, I'm not sure we would have ever been stopped or checked by anybody in the DNR (we never were),...and I'm not sure they would have known anything about their turkey hunting or licensing system, but if you are planning on hunting over there,....take note!

ShootingABN!

Quote from: GobbleNut on February 08, 2021, 03:07:06 PM
I will make one additional comment on turkey hunting there,...and take it as a word of advice for anyone going over there. 

When we went, we bought the turkey license online after jumping through the hoops needed to do so.  In that process, we were NEVER told that we had to have (and buy) carcass tags to hunt them,...and I had talked to them directly over the phone at least a couple of times about the licensing system! 

The only way we ever found out about that is that when we went to scout the day before we were planning on hunting, we ran into a couple of local guys at the check station going into one of the public areas.  We started talking to them about the turkey hunting and it just so happened that they had killed a gobbler and had it in their truck.

We asked to see their bird and when they showed it to us, we saw it had a tag on it.  Come to find out that we had to go to one of two DNR offices (one in Hilo and one in Waimea) during their business hours to buy the carcass tags so we could hunt.  We ended up having to drive an extra hour away from where we were staying to get the tags, and it turned out we barely made it to the office right before it closed. 

If we had not made it on time, we would have had to wait three days until the office opened again to get the turkey tags!  Unless they have changed things, if you are turkey hunting there, even if you buy your turkey license online, you still have to go to one of the local offices to buy the carcass tags to be legal to hunt.

Now, I'm not sure we would have ever been stopped or checked by anybody in the DNR (we never were),...and I'm not sure they would have known anything about their turkey hunting or licensing system, but if you are planning on hunting over there,....take note!

Thank you so much. This is exactly what I mean. It's the little things that can get ya.
We will be moving this summer. So I have time to plain my 2022 public land hunt on the Islands. Never to early to do the research.

derek

You bring up a great point GobbleNut - somehow we knew about the carcus tags going in, we had spoken to a couple folks that had been there before us so I can't remember if that came from them or if we saw it in the regs, but looking at the 2020 press release I see it is there... but another thing to consider... time on the island is.. a bit, "different".. It's a laid back place.. things move, "slower".. which is great.   I believe only the Waimea office was open when we were there, which we only knew through a phone call.  It's kind of tricky to find the office itself, fortunately the people there are great and very nice even if you look a little out of place and confused.  The office was only open Monday through Friday - 8am-3pm? maybe? We were in front of the office well before 8am that first morning and no one was in a hurry to open it up. 

There are also designated access points with sign ins on each public area. 
www.youtube.com/thebaysidelegion

www.thebaysidelegion.com

avidnwoutdoorsman

Its in the regs I posted above.... its the only island that requires a tag as they are the only island that has a "spring hunt". Pg 33 for our boy researching. The other islands are Nov - Jan.

And yes everything is on island time. This includes stores opening and closing not just the DNR office. So make sure you dont need anything at 8pm.... because most places are closed by then.

I forget where I got it from, maybe the DNR website but there is a great KMZ for google earth. I know we all use OnX and such but sometime google earth gives a different perspective. If someone needs it send me a PM and I can send it over. It has all the public lands on all the islands.

Skip Kona brewing... its good but the Big Island Brewhause in Waimea is way good with great food.
Keep Calm and Gobble On!

ShootingABN!

Thanks for the info. The DNR emailed me back with the 2021 turkey regs. Dated 1 or 5 Feb 2021, but when I went back to the website I don't see it posted.

Thanks everyone

ShootingABN!

Just an update the DNR or whatever they're called in Hawaii have been updating me with their regulations. So that's a good sign little slow but hey I'll take it. I'm thankful.

On a side note y'all that flew over what hard case did you fly with?
I've seen Dave Owens YouTube. I have the same SKB double bow case. However I'm thinking of house whole goods packing my bow in it.

Looking at Seahourse and Plano Hard cases.

Planning on taking two 12's and a 410? I will remove the barrel on all and layer with the foam.

Any recommendations?

GobbleNut

Not sure about bow regulations, but there are specific regs on what the gun case design has to be in terms of being able to be locked up and such.  I'm not sure I would disassemble my guns,....just more parts for the airlines and TSA to lose. 

Also, not sure if you are implying that you would disassemble your guns and put them in cartons of some sort to try to disguise them, but I don't think I would try that.  You might get away with it, but if the airlines or TSA discovered undeclared guns in your luggage, I suspect things might get ugly. 

Not sure if others use metal gun cases when flying, but I have always used the hard vinyl cases.  In my mind, I am thinking they are less likely to get damaged by rough handling than are metal cases. 

ShootingABN!

Quote from: GobbleNut on February 18, 2021, 11:33:31 AM
Not sure about bow regulations, but there are specific regs on what the gun case design has to be in terms of being able to be locked up and such.  I'm not sure I would disassemble my guns,....just more parts for the airlines and TSA to lose. 

Also, not sure if you are implying that you would disassemble your guns and put them in cartons of some sort to try to disguise them, but I don't think I would try that.  You might get away with it, but if the airlines or TSA discovered undeclared guns in your luggage, I suspect things might get ugly. 

Not sure if others use metal gun cases when flying, but I have always used the hard vinyl cases.  In my mind, I am thinking they are less likely to get damaged by rough handling than are metal cases.

I understand I have to declare the firearms. Dave Owens has a video about using a double bow case that he flys with.

I'm going to look at other hard cases. I'm going to remove the barrels from the receivers, just so I don't need a long case.

Thanks for your input.

ShootingABN!

Well we live on Oahu. I finally get a chance to go this coming weekend to the Big Island to hunt turkeys.

Y'all wish me luck. If anyone has any recommendations Unit A, G, F. I'm all ears.

Hope everyone has a great, and safe season.

Tsgman

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

GobbleNut

Quote from: ShootingABN! on April 05, 2022, 08:09:30 PM
Well we live on Oahu. I finally get a chance to go this coming weekend to the Big Island to hunt turkeys.
Y'all wish me luck. If anyone has any recommendations Unit A, G, F. I'm all ears.

Been a few years since I went, but any of the open units should have birds.  My single word of advice is (again) to have a good, high clearance vehicle with good tires and at least one spare.  Not sure how much the pressure has increased since I was there, but my thought is to get as far back into the hunt areas as you can to find gobblers that have not been harassed too much.  You want to be there at first light, so allow yourself plenty of time to reach those more remote areas.  The roads can be pretty ugly!

Also, be careful if you hike off the established roads and trails to hunt.  That lava is no laughing matter and the vegetation covering it makes for conditions where it is quite easy to have an unpleasant encounter with holes and sharp edges!  The hunting there is enjoyable,...the terrain you have to negotiate, not so much. 

Mossyguy

Did a lot of training on the Big Island when I was stationed on Oahu. I never got to turkey hunt since I was always working but I can vouch for the terrain. We always got to exchange our boots when we got back from there because the lava rock just destroyed them.