turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

First attempts

Started by turkeyhunter91, February 02, 2021, 05:11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeyhunter91

I am new to trumpet calls and have been doing alot of reading about them lately. I decided to try and make myself 1 and since the weather was preventing us from working I decided to head to the wood shop. I used walnut and those other 2 are American chestnut. I tried several different internal deminsions before I finally found what I was looking for. It's a little raspy but I like it and find the more I use it the better I'm getting, until a week and half ago I hadn't used a trumpet or wingbone very little. My wife made me a few lanyards for them I'm hoping to keep getting it figured out and hopefully have some luck with 1 of them this spring.

JeffC

Congrats and wish you luck killing a big Tom with your own Trumpet. Made my own pot call years ago with basic hand tools, killed a Tom with it , very rewarding moment. Look forward to pictures when you are successful.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

merocustomcalls

Be careful, its addicting!  I said the same thing in 2006 and never stopped.

Tom007

Looking good. Best of luck.......
"Solo hunter"

johnnyk2000

That is pretty cool. Good luck and post pictures

Chris O

That's awesome!!! I have thought about trying that myself. I hope you get it done this spring with your call. I am sure you will have success if you hunt it, share pictures when you do.

EZ

It sure is fun.
You not tapering your mouthpiece?

turkeyhunter91

i have been thinking about making some tapered mouthpieces and a few more trumpets. does the tapered mouth piece change the sound or mainly for looks? thanks everyone, i am new to trumpets so i appreciate any tips,

EZ

Look at how others make their Mouthpieces. Most are tapered, some are "flat" top and bottom.
Makes them much more comfortable and easier to run.

How well can you run them? That makes a big difference on how well you can build them.

turkeyhunter91

thanks for the tips i appreciate them. i can run these pretty good for how much experience i have with a trumpet, i feel like im getting better. i am gonna keep working on them and changing things until i get exactly what i want. if you have any more tips or anything you dont care to share about trumpets i appreciate all the help i can get. we used to build some other types of turkey calls but i hadn't built any calls in several years and have learned quite a bit working on these trumpets. i always enjoyed working a bird with a call me or my dad have built.