OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

#6 lead loads

Started by Missouri hunter, January 25, 2021, 08:12:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Missouri hunter

Hi guys, sell me on number 6 lead loads! I've used 5s for all but one turkey but my best 40yd pattern is grand slam 13/4 #6.

I was using Winchester Long Beard but having too many inconsistencies with them and they are way tight even when they work.
Sterling Custom Calls, making handcrafted box and trough calls.

AppalachianHollers

I'm strongly considering switching to 3" #6's (if I can find them) for late season when everything leafs up. Wish like heck I could find Federal Grand Slams to try the Flitecontrol wad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Missouri hunter

There's a few boxes on gunbroker.com right now! I just bought 3 of them myself. I'm getting a little over 100 hits in 10in @ 40yd. I'm just trying to convince myself that I'm not giving anything up out to that distance using 6s instead of 5s. Most number 5 loads I've tried are going 75-85 hits in 10 @ 40.
Sterling Custom Calls, making handcrafted box and trough calls.

Gmed

Pattern a magblend. They may be easier to find and have a 10.00 rebate per box I think. They pattern well in my guns.... #5-#6 and #7 shot combined

owlhoot

Quote from: Missouri hunter on January 25, 2021, 08:46:26 PM
There's a few boxes on gunbroker.com right now! I just bought 3 of them myself. I'm getting a little over 100 hits in 10in @ 40yd. I'm just trying to convince myself that I'm not giving anything up out to that distance using 6s instead of 5s. Most number 5 loads I've tried are going 75-85 hits in 10 @ 40.
Gun broker , dang that had to hurt the pocket book. That said.
Many many guys have swore by the 6 shot on here for years.

BandedSpur

Lead 6s will hammer turkeys to 40 yds, and it is easy to find a load that will exceed 100/10 @ 40. I would not hunt any shell that won't do 100/10 @ 40. That said, it is possible to get 5s to exceed 100/10 @ 40 but it may take some experimentation (which may be difficult this year). For me, that combo in my 1187 (12 ga/26") was Winch 3-2-5s at 113/10 and Winch 3-1.75-5s at 105/10 with an SSX .643 tube.

Borsy

Ive had great results with standard 3" #6 lead turkey loads. I think they tend to be around 140-160 hits in a 10" at 40 yards out of my guns, but ive never shot them that far at a bird. Perfect for common turkey ranges, and cost effective too. For that load ive mostly shot the standard Winchester Super X.

Ihuntoldschool

Shoot the best pattern, the turkey will be too dead to complain.  Hell 7.5 lead shot kills dead at 40, you know 6 will and then some.
Them turks aint as tough as the ammo makers want you to believe.

Turkeytider

Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on February 01, 2021, 01:06:18 AM
Shoot the best pattern, the turkey will be too dead to complain.  Hell 7.5 lead shot kills dead at 40, you know 6 will and then some.
Them turks aint as tough as the ammo makers want you to believe.

If you can get him close enough (20-30 yards ) you can kill a turkey with a dove load that shoots a good pattern out of the right choke. It tickles me the folks who insist on shooting the equivalent of a 105 artillery shell.