OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Turkey flies down away from you at first light. What’s your next move?

Started by northms, January 23, 2021, 10:57:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GobbleNut

Quote from: guesswho on January 25, 2021, 06:26:55 PM
Quote from: eggshell on January 25, 2021, 05:54:33 PM
They're a menace to society, kill them however you can. I once was on a forum where guys discussed using artillery and dropping mortars on them....hmmm Me thinks a guy in NM was on that forum.  :OGturkeyhead: :funnyturkey: :toothy12:
That guy sounds like a nut!

First Rule of Thumb:  Never trust nobody from New Mexico!  Them Gol durn furiners is limb shooters fir sure!...  But that part about the mortars is an exaggeration. 
...Grenades?  Now maybe...   :toothy12: :toothy9: 

Mossberg90MN

If he is gone gone and off with a hen, after sitting for about 1 hour in silence I'll head out to find another bird. If he was gobbling good back at me, then I'll come back maybe a few hours later and set up for a couple hours and do some blind calling.

If nothing, then I would head out and look for another bird. Maybe go back and roost him if I couldn't get on any action later In the day. But if he's a henned up bird. You could find yourself in a situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

timberjack86

Quote from: afhunter1 on January 23, 2021, 11:10:10 PM
Sit tight and wait for him to leave his hens around 10-11
Super great advice! He will remember you when he gets lonely.

mhamby

I'll try to engage the hen/s and get them to drag him in ....or sit tight and nibble at him in hopes that I can figure out which way he's heading, then,
A.) go get ahead of him
B.) sit tight and hope he comes back
C.) go find another bird and check the first one later on
As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

jhoward11

Start crying, because my wife told me I needed to be back early. OK, really I would try to make a long trek around in front of him..kill him...and then get killed when I get home. I'm a run and gunner!

Gooserbat

Listen for one that is gobbling hard.  Probably a sign he's without hens.  Head that way, setup, call some, shoot said turkey and cary dead turkey to the truck, stop by donut shop for sausage biscuit, donut, and coffee.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Howie g

Depending on terrain and how well I know it , if he goes in another direction , I take a quick guestimation of where I think he is headed and get ahead of him and re set . But if I can't do much traveling due to terrain / property lines or other hunters in area , like others have stated , patients probly kills more gobblers then anything .