OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How Do You Condition Your Body For Tough Public Spring Hunts?

Started by quavers59, February 15, 2021, 02:11:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtns2hunt

I wonder how many really concentrate on such intense work outs? Most of the Turkey hunters I see are overweight with big guts. They waddle a hundred yards or so from the truck and sit. They do seem to kill plenty of Turkeys. Their philosophy seems to be let the Turkey come to them. Makes plenty of sense considering most will never be in the condition of a Turkey so why not let the Turkey do all the hiking. LOL

Personally, I only do the intense workouts when hunting out west for Mtn Lion or Elk. At home my normal activity keeps the weight down i.e. cutting wood on national forest, hiking both Mountains and farm. Currently, I am still huntin Bobcats despite the snowy and icy weather. One of my favorites for staying in shape tho is the treadmill as it is always available and I can take a few minutes a day on it in between other responsibility's.

Might just be me but I do not see why one would need an intense workout for Turkey hunting unless in terrible shape to start. Good calling and patience kill more Turkeys than running and gunning any day. Just my 2 cents.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

budtripp

Not much really, I've been doing a fair amount of coyote hunting this winter. Hiking a mile or so back to good calling spots on public land through snow drifts seems to burn calories. Also wear myself out cutting wood behind the house. If this snow ever melts I plan on hitting it hard shed hunting. May even wear a pack with a little weight in it. Got an antelope hunt to get ready for next fall too.

Kylongspur88

Bow hunting and shed hunting keeps me pretty active on the weekends in the fall. I also run, work with free weights and resistance bands, and do a lot of calisthenics. I started doing some yoga last year and it has really improved flexibility.

catman529

I scouted some hill country one day last week and this is what my iPhone says I did. This is the only exercise I'll really do to prepare for turkey season. Climb as many hills as I can and learn some new ground and look for turkey and deer sign. I'll be back at it when some of this snow melts. Some of these places I might not even hunt, but I always like a change of scenery so I like to scout new areas every year and it's a great way to make sure I'm in shape for season.

Also I try to stretch before I go into the woods. And drink plenty of water before and after

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TauntoHawk

It's not necessary but it certainly helps. Noone has ever said I'm just to in shape for this. I don't workout for the sole purpose of hunting, I love working and get 5 to 6 days a week but it absolutely helps.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

rakkin6

Quote from: SD_smith on February 15, 2021, 08:50:41 AM
Sit-up x1 rep (getting out of bed)
Controlled fall sit-up x1 rep (getting IN bed - must do this because an uncontrolled flop can result in getting a concussion from the headboard and concussion protocols can put you out for up to 2 weeks)
Heavily weighted squat and pause x1 rep (if it's taco Tuesday than definitely can pump those numbers up a bit)
Bicep curls until fail (some days that chip bag is endless)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lol, I like your style.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Dtrkyman

I train in some way year round, so I really do not do anything specific to turkey hunts.  I live at elevation now so heading to the midwest will be gravy!

Carrying a heavy pack in the mountains prepares you for anything!

idgobble

I hunt chukar, grouse, Huns, quail from 9/1 'til 1/31 then exercise my bird dogs until 8/31 usually without carrying a gun but some water and other weight in a hunting vest. Some scouting trips for turkeys, too. Nothing's as good as doing the real thing without a gun but carrying some other weight. After chukar hunting in ID and OR all season anything else is easy, even mountain goat hunting.

Gobble!

January - March is my breeding season. Not a lot of miles walked but the long nights help prepare me for the early mornings.

outdoorsmen

I sit in my recliner for as long as I can. Helps trach me patience and train me for the longs sits.....

hush

Quote from: outdoorsmen on February 16, 2021, 07:32:20 PM
I sit in my recliner for as long as I can. Helps trach me patience and train me for the longs sits.....
Hahaha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtns2hunt

Quote from: outdoorsmen on February 16, 2021, 07:32:20 PM

LOL, I think more do this than will admit!
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Mossberg90MN

Quote from: quavers59 on February 15, 2021, 02:11:35 AM
    For myself ,I  still work out hard with the Weights at age 61. 3 times a week + full body.
    Martial Arts every day for about 45 minutes. Just started my 40th year involvement in Karate. I used to Teach that as well. We did plenty of Standing Jujitsu.
    Plenty of Muay Thai as well.
   Twice a week,I  hit my 125lb Heavy Bag. Starting my 45th year of Boxing. Long time indeed. Most Martial Arts Schools have the 40lb Heavy Bags. That is good for the kids- but an adult would do better with a 80lber.
   I only go at 75% with my Boxing on the 125lb Heavy Bag as,I  use no Hand Wraps. I would say for most men- wrap your hands .
    And,I  Hike as often as possible.I try to get in a good Mountain  Hike in on a weekend day. And in the Spring + Summer,I  get my Mountain  Bike out.
  So- how do you prepare for Tough Public Spring Turkey Hunts?
I think your probably in fantastic shape if your doing all that. I would say your good to for Turkey hunting hahah

I do weights 3 times a week and hit the treadmill a month before. Including weights

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Howie g

I stop drinking / dipping / smoking at the same time a week before season , and I separate them to one at a time .... actually I hit the gym a little more often after deer season and do more cardio to get my " turkey " legs conditioned for spring .