OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New Vest on the market

Started by turkeykiller22, January 20, 2021, 09:37:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeykiller22

Quote from: merriamsman on January 20, 2021, 09:45:54 PM
Looks like a nice vest. Just wondering if you considered a waist belt similar to a backpack. A good waist belt takes all the weight off the shoulders and transfers it to the hips. The original Cabelas tater vest had a great waist belt and one of the Tenzing vests did too. But those are both discontinued and I'm not aware of any other vest with a backpack style waist belt. It just seems that is something more people would want, but maybe it's just me.

That is something that was not considered for this vest. I appreciate the thought and will for sure think about adding that to products down the road!

Drew
Grounded Brand - https://groundedbrand.com/

turkeykiller22

Quote from: MK M GOBL on January 20, 2021, 10:18:37 PM
Looks to be well thought out, now if you get into making a "Hip Pack" I'd be interested. I carry a turkey lounger so no seat pad needed and have a sling for toting a tom out so no game bag. Of course this is why they make the hip packs for some of us.

Here's my Badlands Hip Pack, worked great to begin with but the magnetic tube closures I lost some calls... I now have the Avian X Sling Pack, on my second year with that but still looking for something better.

MK M GOBL

Thanks for the comments. What do you not like about the Avian X bag that you have been using?

davisd9

Drew, do you plan to make any face masks? If so I have lots of inputs on that from which me and other hunters have discussed.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

They call him...Kenny..Kenny

FLGobstopper

Looks nice! I like a lot about it.
2 main things are:
1) it's a strap style vest and has a game bag (rarely use one but if I ever do carry a decoy I can stuff it or extra clothes for cold days in there
2) it's pretty light weight and looks like it would be cooler on hot days.

Also, the padding inside that allows room for some air to circulate but still gives support and cushion if you're sitting against a tree for a long time, the pot call and striker pockets and storage, inside pockets for gloves, facemask, other things like a energy bar or snack.

2 main things I see that turn me off:
1) seat attachment
2) box call pocket and storage

Add a speed seat like the Tat'r 2 and I'd like it much more. Magnets are ok but not a fan of flopping seat in the instance you have to real quick run one down. I like a seat that's fast out of the way and ready to go when I need it but don't like em flopping when I have to move or slide around a tree to get in position on one. Seat looks nice and comfortable though!

Also, add a vertical long box sleeve on the right inside of the vest opposite of pot call side. I don't carry a long box all the time but when i do it would be great to have a spot for it. Add a box call silencer with the sleeve that separates the paddle again like the Tat'r 2 and it would have my attention!

One other thing that turns me off a little are those zippers. I do not like the ones on the Ol' Tom vests and tried liking them and these features remind me of those a lot. But, my go to vest is my older Tat'r 2 and it's not perfect by any means but out of all the vests I've tried (pretty much all) I'm fine the zippers on those pockets because it also has the little hook and loop on the pockets. So, sometimes I'll leave them half zipped with just the top open and if I'm prospecting I can slide my hand in real quick and grab a striker or pot call, or when I'm sitting I can just hook it and not worry about it being in the way and or stuff falling out.

Just my initial thoughts, would like to see one in person one day in the case I have to replace what's working now.

turkeykiller22

Quote from: Gobble! on January 21, 2021, 09:17:48 AM
The two zippers in the back, what are they for?
Does it have loops to hold the hose of a hydration bladder on the shoulders?
I've never liked magnetic seats but sounds like this vest has overly heavy magnets. Strong enough it won't come off running through the woods?
What length box call can that pocket support?
How deep does the pocket go that crow call is sticking out of?
Price point is pretty high. Your competition at that price includes a kickstand.

Thanks for the questions and comments. Yes there is a loop for the hydration pack to hang from. The longest box call that can be put into the box call sleeve is 9.25 inches long. The crow call pocket is 6inches deep.

Please let me know if you have other questions!
Drew

turkeykiller22

Quote from: haystaddle on January 21, 2021, 10:04:50 AM
Looks interesting to me. Just curious on one size, since I'm 6'5" 280. A lot of osfa doesn't work. And a video of the vest would be a big help.

Ive had that question a good bit. The adjustment is huge but I do know that it won't fit everyone. I do offer free returns so there should not be any hesitation to purchase it regard the size. If you don't like it let me know and I will get you a return label.

turkeykiller22

Quote from: Matt76cmich on January 22, 2021, 08:55:06 AM
Looks good. Might have to wait until some other people can review it before buying it, but I like the way it looks.

Thanks! I will have some videos coming out on it before too long. Hope you enjoy!

Drew

turkeykiller22

Quote from: davisd9 on January 22, 2021, 09:35:59 AM
Drew, do you plan to make any face masks? If so I have lots of inputs on that from which me and other hunters have discussed.

David, yes I am. Lets talk one day and discuss I would love some input on face masks.

Drew

PanhandleStrutter

Looks nice! I really like the fact that you can carry 4 pot calls as well. I too would like to see a video on it!

turkeykiller22

Quote from: FLGobstopper on January 22, 2021, 10:45:29 AM
2 main things are:
1) it's a strap style vest and has a game bag (rarely use one but if I ever do carry a decoy I can stuff it or extra clothes for cold days in there

Also, the padding inside that allows room for some air to circulate but still gives support and cushion if you're sitting against a tree for a long time, the pot call and striker pockets and storage, inside pockets for gloves, facemask, other things like a energy bar or snack.

1) seat attachment

Add a speed seat like the Tat'r 2 and I'd like it much more. Magnets are ok but not a fan of flopping seat in the instance you have to real quick run one down. I like a seat that's fast out of the way and ready to go when I need it but don't like em flopping when I have to move or slide around a tree to get in position on one. Seat looks nice and comfortable though!

Also, add a vertical long box sleeve on the right inside of the vest opposite of pot call side. I don't carry a long box all the time but when i do it would be great to have a spot for it. Add a box call silencer with the sleeve that separates the paddle again like the Tat'r 2 and it would have my attention!

One other thing that turns me off a little are those zippers. I do not like the ones on the Ol' Tom vests and tried liking them and these features remind me of those a lot. But, my go to vest is my older Tat'r 2 and it's not perfect by any means but out of all the vests I've tried (pretty much all) I'm fine the zippers on those pockets because it also has the little hook and loop on the pockets. So, sometimes I'll leave them half zipped with just the top open and if I'm prospecting I can slide my hand in real quick and grab a striker or pot call, or when I'm sitting I can just hook it and not worry about it being in the way and or stuff falling out.

Just my initial thoughts, would like to see one in person one day in the case I have to replace what's working now.

Those are some awesome thoughts. I appreciate you sharing them! Thanks for the kind words regarding the vest.

On the speed seat. I agree 100 percent. I looked into putting it on this vest however Cabelas has a patent on it. Not only only that but actively pursued Dick's Sporting Goods in the past couple of years for infringement. So the speed seat was out for me. But I do agree with you that it is currently the best deployment system on the market.

To be honest I never really considered a long box but have had several people ask about that recently. It may be something that I look to incorporate into the next vest. I will also say that I know this vest is not for everyone as we all have our own preferences. Hopefully I can this feedback from you and others and produce more products to meet those preferences.

Drew

Bridger

Looks like some great design features- what are the two zippers on the back for?

Tom007

Quote from: turkeykiller22 on January 22, 2021, 09:36:14 PM
Quote from: FLGobstopper on January 22, 2021, 10:45:29 AM
2 main things are:

1) seat attachment

Those are some awesome thoughts. I appreciate you sharing them! Thanks for the kind words regarding the vest.

On the speed seat. I agree 100 percent. I looked into putting it on this vest however Cabelas has a patent on it. Not only only that but actively pursued Dick's Sporting Goods in the past couple of years for infringement. So the speed seat was out for me. But I do agree with you that it is currently the best deployment system on the market.

To be honest I never really considered a long box but have had several people ask about that recently. It may be something that I look to incorporate into the next vest. I will also say that I know this vest is not for everyone as we all have our own preferences. Hopefully I can this feedback from you and others and produce more products to meet those preferences.

Drew

Drew, good morning. I have the new Badlands vest I bought last year. It has the Speed seat. They must have tweaked it to get around the patent, but It is the exact type of seat. Something to take a look at...good luck
"Solo hunter"

Tom007

Congrats Drew, you are already sold out of the Bottomland in your new vest line. Best of luck.....
"Solo hunter"

turkeykiller22

Quote from: Bridger on January 23, 2021, 06:13:37 AM
Looks like some great design features- what are the two zippers on the back for?

Hey Bridger, one zipper is for the orange flag for when hunting on public land. The other zipper to for a water bladder. The bladder pocket also has a loop in to hang the bladder from.

Thanks!
Drew