OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Anthony Ellis Article

Started by Gobbler428, January 20, 2021, 08:14:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris O

Thanks for sharing all these great pictures of some fine looking calls.

gergg

1st trumpet I ever owned was from Anthony, a Desert Ironwood beauty that ran great to me.....I tripped, dropped it, then proceeded to step on it(yeah, it got crushed), I am such a clod.... He got me going on these things, fun ride. Anthony is a nice guy and deserves the credit.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

chefrific

One of my favorites from one of my favorites....

Anthony made this for me last summer. Chibouk - Pistachio, ebony, and a toothy mouthpiece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: chefrific on January 21, 2021, 10:08:18 PM

Anthony made this for me last summer. Chibouk - Pistachio, ebony, and a toothy mouthpiece.

I've been wanting to add one of his chibouks and one of his Jordans. More seasons go by the more I seem to really prefer a good Jordan call. How you liking the chibouk? Run easy one handed?

Sir-diealot

I have one of his chibouks in tulipwood, very nice calls.

Sent from my S30U+ using Tapatalk

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

chefrific

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on January 22, 2021, 07:30:09 AM
Quote from: chefrific on January 21, 2021, 10:08:18 PM

I've been wanting to add one of his chibouks and one of his Jordans. More seasons go by the more I seem to really prefer a good Jordan call. How you liking the chibouk? Run easy one handed?

Yes. But I run a trumpet one handed just as well. It's definitely easier to throttle down and manipulate the air flow on a chibouk by inserting a finger in the bell of the call. Great tree caller as well. It's different, but in a good way. Keep waiting for a warden to ask what I've been smoking in it. Lol.

Longtom1.5

Quote from: warrent423 on January 21, 2021, 09:50:54 AM
I reckon I'll stick with that "Old Man" from Canton ;)

If you'll read it, that "old man from canton" is mentioned.

Great article! Well written. Deadly calls.
Beautiful calls guys

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: warrent423 on January 27, 2021, 09:14:00 AM
Quote from: Longtom1.5 on January 27, 2021, 06:12:48 AM

Beautiful calls guys
Mentioned and tried to copy, as with many of the "Johnny come lately's" building calls these days. No offense to the guy. I'm sure Turkeys can be killed with them. I've heard his soundfiles and have actually ran one personally here lately. Wasn't too impressed. I'd rather stick with the over 50 yrs experience the "Man from Canton" has ;) Just me personally though. Good luck with them.
What exactly do you mean by "tried to copy?" That's a bold and ungrounded statement, and a pretty crummy one to make about someone, particularly someone as stand up as who this conversation is about. Why don't you ring Billy and ask him about Anthony's calls? I bet you he'd tell you right quickly that he builds a fine one. I bet there wouldn't be a foul word come out of Mr. Billy's mouth. There ain't too many "Johnny come latelys" taking nationals year after year. But to each his own. With a two year wait list I don't think he'll lose sleep waiting on your order and approval. Personally I can't wait till the next time my name comes up on the list.

antnye

Thanks for the well written article David. Thanks guys for the support.

Quote from: warrent423 on January 27, 2021, 09:14:00 AM
Quote from: Longtom1.5 on January 27, 2021, 06:12:48 AM

Beautiful calls guys
Mentioned and tried to copy, as with many of the "Johnny come lately's" building calls these days. No offense to the guy. I'm sure Turkeys can be killed with them. I've heard his soundfiles and have actually ran one personally here lately. Wasn't too impressed. I'd rather stick with the over 50 yrs experience the "Man from Canton" has ;) Just me personally though. Good luck with them.

Let me go ahead and put this to bed.

I will start by saying I respect Mr Billy.  He is a legendary callmaker and an even better person.  I hold him in the highest regard.  But.....When I developed my trumpets I did not own nor had I ever even played one of Mr Billy's Trumpets.  It took me lots of wood, time and frustration to develop my calls.  The interals are all my design.  As it goes though.  All of us trumpet makers alive today....Everyone whom is drilling a hole in a peice of wood to draw air through is copying the Tom Turpin Yelper. 

Mr Billy did pioneer the removable mouthpiece.  And I did make a few mouthpieces removable on about a dozen calls.  As I had seen several trumpet makers, and some who have been making yelpers as almost as long as Billy, doing.  I was aware he had an old patent.  I researched the patent and it expired in 2004.  Later on I had heard through the grapevine that someone told Mr. Billy I Copied his call.  I immediately called Mr. Billy to clear the air.  He had issue with me making those removable mouthpieces so I told him I would not make them.  And explained the internals on my call are my own.  We ended our talk discussing hunting the mighty Cohutta WMA and remain friends.  Out of respect for Mr Billy I stopped at those dozen calls and glued them as he requested. Not because of the patent but out of respect for Mr. Billy.   The method the mouthpiece is attached has nothing to do with the internals or how the call plays and sounds.  A wagon will still roll no matter if the wheel is glued or bolted on.  Just makes it easier to change the wheel.

I make calls because I love to turkey hunt and make the calls to do it.  As long as folks want to buy them I will keep making them.  And if they ever stop or I lose the passion for it I will stop.  I don't have to sell turkey calls to eat.  I do it for the love of it.

My call is my own.  Whether you like them or if you don't.  And anybody who knows me knows this is true.

Anthony

Gobbler428

X2 Chester, I could add to your reply but won't because I have to remember and practice the old saying. "if you can't say something nice, then don't say say anything at all" which I think is certainly applicable here.

k4brannon

Anthony makes great calls and is a great guy to deal with, happy for him on the recognition in the article its well deserved. I was lucky enough to add one of Anthony's trumpets to my collection recently and it has quickly become one of my favorites. When I reach for one on opening day its going to be damn hard not grab his.

guesswho

I have one "Greengo" from Anthony that I'm pretty fond of.  I always say I get bored easy, and this one gives me something to look and it keeps my attention for awhile.  If I stare at it to long though I get dizzy and fall over.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Gobbler428

How many Jack & Waters do you have while you are staring at it??? LOL

guesswho

Quote from: Gobbler428 on January 28, 2021, 08:34:51 PM
How many Jack & Waters do you have while you are staring at it??? LOL
And I use it as a straw.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Gobbler428

No wonder you get dizzy and fall over, good thing you don't use it as a funnel!