OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Trumpet Advice

Started by rakkin6, January 09, 2021, 12:50:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbbow

Quote from: perrytrails on January 09, 2021, 08:46:28 PM
/\
I
I
I

Call that EZ fella above, I know you want a trumpet but he makes a outstanding Cane or Wingbone call. Very easy to learn with!!
X2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris O

:OGturkeyhead:
Quote from: rakkin6 on January 10, 2021, 01:51:24 AM
Decided on a Ralph Permar .45, it is not crazy expensive in comparison to others in case I decide it's not for me like some of you have mentioned. Thanks fellas

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
great choice, congrats

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: rakkin6 on January 10, 2021, 01:51:24 AM
Decided on a Ralph Permar .45, it is not crazy expensive in comparison to others in case I decide it's not for me like some of you have mentioned. Thanks fellas

Ralph's calls run as easy as any made, and all sound great. I've got more trumpets from him than any other maker and there's a reason for that. If you wind up wanting to try a different type of call, his modified Jordans are the best deal in suction calls.

davisd9

Understand trumpets can be as personal as mouth calls. What I love may not be one you care for. Everyone's lips and air draw can be different so one builder may suit you better than another. There are a few rules of thumb calls for beginners, but saying this is the best call for anyone is not correct. The Permar should be a good one to learn on, but if you decide to try others do not be surprised if you find one that you play with more ease. Trumpets are fun but they require time and dedication and no particular call will make up for that.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: davisd9 on January 10, 2021, 09:17:59 AM
Understand trumpets can be as personal as mouth calls. What I love may not be one you care for. Everyone's lips and air draw can be different so one builder may suit you better than another. There are a few rules of thumb calls for beginners, but saying this is the best call for anyone is not correct. The Permar should be a good one to learn on, but if you decide to try others do not be surprised if you find one that you play with more ease. Trumpets are fun but they require time and dedication and no particular call will make up for that.
No one told him this was the "best call for him" or "the best call for anyone." He asked suggestions, wound up buying a .45, and folks told him that's a great call. I did say Permar's improved Jordans are the "best deal in suction calls." And considering you can get a call that sounds that good and is made that well from an absolute legend for $60, I stand by that. Can't think of anyone else at Ralph's level selling $60 suction calls. But you're absolutely right that one maker's call that fits one player really well may not work for another. I've got more Permars than anything but truth be told Anthony Ellis' trumpets play more easily for me than anything else I've ever tried to play. He may very well find that's the case with him, but a .45 is a fine place to start. Established call from a legendary maker, zero wait time and didn't break the bank. Win win.

rakkin6

Well with this being my first trumpet I didn't care to spend some money on quality but obviously didn't want to spend $350.00-$400.00 and then decide it wasn't for me. And from listening to a lot of folks I get the idea it will take a lot of practice before I can put it to use on the woods. So I am planning on the spring of 2022 getting it into the woods. If somehow I can this year then I will but my plan is for next spring. I appreciate all the help.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: rakkin6 on January 10, 2021, 10:21:40 AM
Well with this being my first trumpet I didn't care to spend some money on quality but obviously didn't want to spend $350.00-$400.00 and then decide it wasn't for me. And from listening to a lot of folks I get the idea it will take a lot of practice before I can put it to use on the woods. So I am planning on the spring of 2022 getting it into the woods. If somehow I can this year then I will but my plan is for next spring. I appreciate all the help.

Who knows, you might be a natural! I'd follow Tony Ezolt's (EZ on here) and lots of other good callers advice, and just learn that one call really well. You learn and dial in the mechanics with one good call and then you can typically run most anything.

rakkin6

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on January 10, 2021, 10:57:45 AM

Who knows, you might be a natural! I'd follow Tony Ezolt's (EZ on here) and lots of other good callers advice, and just learn that one call really well. You learn and dial in the mechanics with one good call and then you can typically run most anything.

Makes complete sense to me, that's what I did with a mouth call. Learned on a double stack primos and now can use a lot of calls (if it fits my pallet) and any cut. Not that I am great with one.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

davisd9

You do not have to spend top money. No one said you made a bad choice but I just pointed out that what works for me may not work for you. I sure wish I was given that advice when I started. Good luck. I am no expert but willing to help if I can.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Gobbler428

x2 ChesterCopperpot  I learned and shot my first longbeard with a T6 Bocote from Anthony Ellis and I have more of his calls than any others. I have several of Ralphs' calls as well and I never hunt without at least one of his in my vest.  As I'm sure you are aware, Ralph also has a great video on Youtube regarding how to run a trumpet.

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Gobbler428 on January 10, 2021, 11:12:34 AM
x2 ChesterCopperpot  I learned and shot my first longbeard with a T6 Bocote from Anthony Ellis and I have more of his calls than any others. I have several of Ralphs' calls as well and I never hunt without at least one of his in my vest.  As I'm sure you are aware, Ralph also has a great video on Youtube regarding how to run a trumpet.
Yeah, I still find that Permar video the most helpful, especially as far as learning hand placement and hand control. To the OP, there were a lot of good YouTube videos posted in this one awhile back, including the Permar video and the Marlin Watkins series:

Best advice for trumpet novice caller
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?share_fid=17578&share_tid=100396&url=http%3A%2F%2Foldgobbler%2Ecom%2FForum%2Findex%2Ephp%3Ftopic%3D100396&share_type=t&link_source=app

rakkin6

Quote from: davisd9 on January 10, 2021, 11:10:09 AM

You do not have to spend top money. No one said you made a bad choice but I just pointed out that what works for me may not work for you. I sure wish I was given that advice when I started. Good luck. I am no expert but willing to help if I can.
Thanks for the offer, once I receive it I may be reaching out to you lol.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

bwhana

I got a 1930 from Ralph right after the season ended last year. I called him to discuss his calls and he ran several for me on the phone right then so I could tell which one I liked more.  I love the call and will hunt with it forever, but even more, I love the memory from that personal phone call and cherish the hand written note he sent with the trumpet as much as the call.  You can't go wrong with a Permar or many of the others mentioned in the thread.  Buy them all!

davisd9

Quote from: rakkin6 on January 10, 2021, 11:49:04 AM
Quote from: davisd9 on January 10, 2021, 11:10:09 AM

Thanks for the offer, once I receive it I may be reaching out to you lol.

If you still have my number from the pot transaction, feel free to call or text anytime.

davisd9

Quote from: bwhana on January 10, 2021, 12:00:42 PM
I got a 1930 from Ralph right after the season ended last year. I called him to discuss his calls and he ran several for me on the phone right then so I could tell which one I liked more.  I love the call and will hunt with it forever, but even more, I love the memory from that personal phone call and cherish the hand written note he sent with the trumpet as much as the call.  You can't go wrong with a Permar or many of the others mentioned in the thread.  Buy them all!

That is how the transaction should go! Awesome story.