turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Trumpet Advice

Started by rakkin6, January 09, 2021, 12:50:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rakkin6

Hey guys I have a quick question for you all. I am looking at buying a trumpet and need some advice on who makes a quality one that is fairly easy to run. This is my first one and I don't know anyone else that uses one so I am going to be self taught. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Vaughnrp2

You will find this topic discussed more than a few time if you do a quick search. I'll add this, you want find a trumpet that you can pickup and master in a few months say like a pot call. Also if you have time to wait get on Buice list but you can find a good call from a maker with a quick turnaround. Again just search it.

Gobbler428

I agree with Vaughnrp2 that this topic has been discussed many times and I am sure a search will turn up plenty on this subject for you to read. I would suggest that you purchase a good quality trumpet from one of the many great trumpet  makers here on OG. You will find it easy to learn on and should you decide that trumpets are just not for you, you will be able to resale it and recoup most if not all of your investment.  If you do not wish to get on a wait list, I would suggest that you visit Ralph Permars' website.  The last time I was on Ralphs' site he had several nice calls available. He makes a quality trumpet and is a great guy to deal with. Good luck!

HookedonHooks

Get ahold of Clay Townsend, great prices on his air calls, great quality, and an even better guy.

There's plenty of other options, and as others said, some of that info can be found with some digging in this exact subforum. 

I would recommend trying out one from a maker on the cheaper end of the scale that's still recommend by many just to find out if you'll even like this style of call. There are a lot of people that get into one and then find out they don't want to take the time to learn, or just don't feel comfortable using these style of calls. If you decide it is for you then investing in one of the pricier options down the line could be well worth it though.

davisd9

100 people will answer and you will get 95 different answers. Look through the forum on who hunts and kills with them regularly and then find what they say.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

KentuckyHeadhunter

How deep are your pockets?  But I'd say get an osage Buice and you'll have a killer for lifetime. And an heirloom call. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

ChesterCopperpot

I'd contact Anthony Ellis at AGE Trumpets and see if he has any on hand that he was intending to sell at Unicoi. If he does, buy one. If he doesn't, Ralph Permar has some available on his site right now. That's two immediate options on incredible calls, otherwise expect to be on waiting lists for awhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EZ

That's good question, but impossible to answer, there's so many really good ones. I'd say do a little more research, pick one and jump in with both feet. Just as important (or more) as the call is learning the right way. A little good, quality instructions and tips will go a long way. Once you "get it", you'll be hooked, particularly once you see how they perform (at times) in the turkey woods.

A lot of good folks on here will help you out.

perrytrails

/\
I
I
I

Call that EZ fella above, I know you want a trumpet but he makes a outstanding Cane or Wingbone call. Very easy to learn with!!

rakkin6

Decided on a Ralph Permar .45, it is not crazy expensive in comparison to others in case I decide it's not for me like some of you have mentioned. Thanks fellas

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

SwampRooster17

Good choice! I just picked up a 45 myself and it's an awesome call! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boykin Hollow

On your way to 95 different answers you may want to check out Misfire and Lewis Stowe.  PM me if you need their contact info.

willy9889

A Permar 45 was my first trumpet. Great choice and Ralph is a pleasure to talk turkey with!!

Willy :boon:

rakkin6

Quote from: willy9889 on January 10, 2021, 07:20:31 AM
A Permar 45 was my first trumpet. Great choice and Ralph is a pleasure to talk turkey with!!

Willy :boon:
Now once I get it we will see how mad I can make my wife for the next six months learning just to make the sound of a drowning turkey. Going to be about the same has when I was learning to run a henbox.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

KYTURKEY

Rick Alessandrini makes a killer trumpet. Very easy to play.