OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Are lip stops necessary?

Started by ChesterCopperpot, January 01, 2021, 09:37:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChesterCopperpot

The first suction calls I ever ran were wingbones and Jordans that didn't have lip stops. Once I started buying some trumpets, which all came with lip stops, I got used to adjusting all the stops to my length and playing them as such. But what I've found is that I don't really miss them when they're not on the call. I still run a lot of wingbones and Jordans without, and likewise the trumpets don't seem to sound any different or become more difficult to play when I remove the stop from the call. I was wondering if other people are similar or whether you find the lip stop necessary in your ability to run the call?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ol bob

boatpaddle

Quote from: ol bob on January 01, 2021, 11:10:48 AM
Lip stops are training wheels.
Well said.

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

Terry

Mark Prudhomme and Zach Farmer both use them, unless you can show me better trumpet callers than those two who don't use one, I'd say they're necessary. Unless you're happy with the sound you're getting, which is perfectly fine. Not everybody shoots for the stars.

boatpaddle

Let me clarify something,  Terry...

Lipstops are a training aid for people, learning to run a trumpet or wingbone call to set depth for the mouthpiece...

I was not in any way, being negative about the use of a lipstop..

To each his own...

I apologize, if my post offended you...

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

Terry

Not at all, my point was that if the best in the world still use one, I can't see how they're a training aid.

ChesterCopperpot

I imagine, but don't know, that Mr. Farmer and Mark Prudhomme would have little trouble running a call without a lip stop just due to their overwhelming familiarity with the calls. That said I think it may depend on the player in the same way that some folks call from the middle of their lips and some folks have to move off to one side to find sound. I guess what I was really trying to ask was whether some folks need the lip stop there to get a seal and pressure? Do you find that it affects sound?

EZ

Could be more personal preference. I run calls literally every day, most without a lip stop (because I hadn't turned one yet). Are they necessary? No. Do I prefer one? Yes.

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: EZ on January 01, 2021, 01:01:13 PM
Could be more personal preference. I run calls literally every day, most without a lip stop (because I hadn't turned one yet). Are they necessary? No. Do I prefer one? Yes.
Folks like you are why I wanted to pose the question here, Tony. What is it that makes you prefer one? Are you getting a different sound as a result of a better seal? Is it just faster for you to find your place?

Terry

For me lip stops improve the efficiency in which I take in air, there is no loss of air between lip and mouthpiece, it all gets channeled through the call.

gergg

I run them with/without, no lipstop gives me a slightly different sound and I like it that way at times.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

paboxcall

Consistency. I've been running trumpets for a while, but not every day like EZ. The lip stop IMO makes calling consistent and repeatable.

I put a cheap rubber faucet washer on a plain two piece wing bone just for consistency.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

EZ

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on January 01, 2021, 01:21:04 PM
Quote from: EZ on January 01, 2021, 01:01:13 PM
Folks like you are why I wanted to pose the question here, Tony. What is it that makes you prefer one? Are you getting a different sound as a result of a better seal? Is it just faster for you to find your place?

I think it's more of a reference point thing for me. I find that my lips barely touch the stop. I guess it just give me a comforting feeling and to me, I see no advantage to running a call without a stop (although there may be for some). It really makes no difference running call in the comfort of my home, but on a cold morning and slightly numb lips, I'm liking a lip stop for sure.

Fatbeard

My personal trumpet and wingbone/cane yelpers I rarely run a lipstop. All that I make and sell I put a lipstop on them.
East TN Beard Buster

crow

When I got the collagen lip implants for that sexy lip look I lost some muscle tension so now it's lipstop for a better seal.

Simon Everett just pinched the mouthpiece between finger and thumb for a lipstop, that works pretty good.