OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mouth calls for beginners

Started by Bigbirdkiller75, May 19, 2011, 10:28:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigbirdkiller75

I have to say the primos sonic dome mouth calls are the easiest to use and learn with. I have one and the dome makes it sit perfect in your mouth and helps you get the right feel for a call. So anyone new to diaphragms these calls are the best to learn with I'd say.  :anim_25:
Bigbirdkiller75

WyoHunter

I guess I'll have to try one!
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

GobbleNut

I think the dome-style calls can be a useful tool, especially for new mouth call users.  It may well aid in the proper positioning of the call along the palate, and also make it easier to achieve the proper flow of air over the call reeds.

Once an individual has gotten the hang of basic mouth call use, they would be wise to try many different types of mouth calls to find out which ones work best for them.  Mouth calls are not a one-size-fits-all accessory.  Every one of us calls a little differently and has variations in the shapes of our mouths, tongue dexterity, and air flow control.  Each of those plays a role in determining what type of call is best for the individual user. 

TRKYHTR

Quote from: GobbleNut on May 19, 2011, 11:02:56 PM
I think the dome-style calls can be a useful tool, especially for new mouth call users.  It may well aid in the proper positioning of the call along the palate, and also make it easier to achieve the proper flow of air over the call reeds.

Once an individual has gotten the hang of basic mouth call use, they would be wise to try many different types of mouth calls to find out which ones work best for them.  Mouth calls are not a one-size-fits-all accessory.  Every one of us calls a little differently and has variations in the shapes of our mouths, tongue dexterity, and air flow control.  Each of those plays a role in determining what type of call is best for the individual user. 

That was very well said Jim. I agree with everything.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

mmusso

Quote from: GobbleNut on May 19, 2011, 11:02:56 PM

I agree 100% with GobbleNut on the mechanics, but I did not find the dome style calls to be helpful for me. I tried a couple several years ago when I decided to figure out using diaphragms correctly, and when I wasn't choking on them, I couldn't get a good sound out of them.  Go out and buy as many or more than you can afford to buy and buy from as many different callmakers as possible. Every callmaker uses different cuts, and more importantly, a little different reed spacing and different degrees of tension.

DeWayne Knight

mmusso, that is good advice on getting a bunch of calls and trying them out.  I said in another thread I ordered 10 diaphragms this week to try out.  I had a supply of diaphragms I've really liked but the last of them finally gave up the ghost during pre-season practice.  They aren't available anymore.  I hunted with pot and box calls all season this year, but made the commitment to spend some money, try a bunch of different cuts from 3 different makers, and come up with a short list of favorites.  I don't want to be in a position again where I don't have mouth calls I am comfortable with during the season.

mikejd

I would recomend the quaker boy twin. Its an easy call for begginer mouth callers it is easy to get a basic sound out of. The most important bit is to trim the call with a scissor until it feels nice and comfortable after the initial tickle you will be set. also trim a little at a time although i do have some that are cut down almost to the metal and i can work them fine. another side note when your done with them soak in mouthwash to avoid the swamp like tast next time.LoL

Houndstooth Game Calls

I make a 2 reed call I build called a Tom Bomb that I build with one latex reed over proph. and its a easy call to blow in fact it honestly sounds like a multi reed call like a half batwing half v call or known as a combo cut but you can get a high front end on it and break it over into rasp with no effort! I like because I can get it to roll over with soft, soft, talk. Infact I sat up on a bird this year with a guy say 20yds apart and he killed the bird he walked over to me he said that old hen behind us called that tom right to us I told him that was me he said it sounded like I was 70yds behind him LOL!

archery1

TRY SOME HOOKS CAALLS  ..... THEY ARE SUPER EASY TO RUN
Take a kid hunting

TrophyTracker

Take a look at the Quaker Boy "Easy Way 2pk"

It comes with two of the most user friendly calls on the market, the Easy Double, and the Old Boss Hen Light, and an instructional DVD that will take you through running both calls, step by step. The price is excellent as well.

https://www.quakerboy.com/productdetail.cfm?product_id=519&CFID=2966559&CFTOKEN=31775499
New to you, not the game
Drink a Monster, Live Forever!
Beatdown City Fl

cahaba

I have found that trimming any regular sized call will work wonders in sound quality and just a little bend to "customize" it to fit you. Rarely do I use one straight out of the package.

gunnerj

I see Knight and Hale have changed up their marketing. They have their mouth calls marketed for novice, intermediate and advanced. Check out the web site.

maustypsu

The theory behind dome calls is definitely something that should help beginners get that "seal".  However, if they don't fit your pallet you can be a national champion and not be able to run them.  The fact that they have the dome makes them less customizable than a regular mouth call.

So yes, great for a beginner if they fit.  But useless to anyone if they don't fit.

chatterbox

I have found the hooks Jr. Duplicator to be a beginner friendly call.

maustypsu