OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Can a call be to raspy?

Started by Bigbirdkiller75, May 18, 2011, 11:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigbirdkiller75

I just bought a flextone babyface mouth call and it is really raspy. Could that be a bad thing or do birds like the rasp cause the hen sounds mature? I like the call and really think it sounds good. I can put and cut really well with it but the yelp sounds real raspy. I just wanted to make sure I won't scare birds. Also I have a primos sonic dome call and I have to say it is my absolute favorite out of all the mouth calls I've used. I can only use small frame calls so I'm limited in my selection and it sucks but I do find ones I like. And lastly does the new hs strut squealing hen call really work as good as they say it does?
Bigbirdkiller75

honker22

I love a deep raspy call and it will not scare the birds.  In fact, i won't use a diaphragm if it's not raspy.  Check out Hook's custom calls, they are a sponsor on the left side of the site.  They are awesome and are a smaller frame, so you will be very pleased.  Scott at Hooks is top notch and will help you out.

Squealing hen... now that will scare a turkey off or call a yote in
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

stinkpickle

Some hens sound raspy.  Some hens sound clean.  They're all different, so I doubt you'll scare any with heavy rasp.  I've never heard a hen squeal, however...not saying they don't.   ;)

lightsoutcalls

It's sometimes funny to hear different folks run the "perfect" sounding call.  I have heard calls that were so raspy I wouldn't dare use them.  Other guys would be drueling over them.  By the same token, a call that I would snatch up in a heartbeat, other folks might turn their nose up at saying it wasn't raspy enough.  On a given day, a bird will come to either. 
Some of the worst sounding yelps I have ever heard came from a real hen.  The sound was so deep, throaty and down right gutteral (sp) that I couldn't believe it when she walked out of the grass just a few yards away from me.  For all the calling me and my buddy could throw at 3 mature gobblers and a wad of jakes about 70 yards away, she towed them off like they were on a string with that nasty sound like she had smoked 3 packs of menthols a day since birth. 
A given sound may not scare a bird away, but it might not attract them like another sound would.  That may change from day to day, county to county or even bird to bird.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

mmusso

I don't think it really matters. On one day they may not answer and on the next day you might have 3 gobblers run up in your lap. For yelping, I like a really clear, crisp front end that breaks over into a good rasp. For cutting, I like a bit more rasp. If I were you, I would buy several calls from different callmakers and test them for yourself to find what you like and can run easily. Everyone has their own preference in sounds and everyone runs a diaphragm a little differently. I don't think the birds really care just so long as it sounds remotely like a turkey. Like LightsOut said, there are a lot of hens in the woods that sound absolutely horrible to our ears, but they get by just fine. Just get out there and call to 'em.  :anim_25:

redarrow

A gobbler will come in to the worn out hinges on a screen door some days.Other days he ain't gonna budge. That why we carry so many different calls. What works today wont work tomorrow.I like a raspy call myself.

Spring_Woods

Quote from: redarrow on May 19, 2011, 10:37:32 AM
A gobbler will come in to the worn out hinges on a screen door some days.Other days he ain't gonna budge. That why we carry so many different calls. What works today wont work tomorrow.I like a raspy call myself.

Well said!
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

guesswho

Yes, I believe a call can be to Raspy.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

WyoHunter

Quote from: mmusso on May 19, 2011, 10:21:04 AM
I don't think it really matters. On one day they may not answer and on the next day you might have 3 gobblers run up in your lap. For yelping, I like a really clear, crisp front end that breaks over into a good rasp. For cutting, I like a bit more rasp. If I were you, I would buy several calls from different callmakers and test them for yourself to find what you like and can run easily. Everyone has their own preference in sounds and everyone runs a diaphragm a little differently. I don't think the birds really care just so long as it sounds remotely like a turkey. Like LightsOut said, there are a lot of hens in the woods that sound absolutely horrible to our ears, but they get by just fine. Just get out there and call to 'em.  :anim_25:

Good advice!
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

DeWayne Knight

I ordered 10 different diaphragm calls today to try.  Hopefully out of those 10, I come up with 3-4 I really like and I'll get a couple of each for next season.

OLE RASPY

They call me

OLE RASPY

:lol:

mdtkyhntr

Confidence in a call is very important. If you feel good running it then you will likely have more success using it. I like my calls raspy, but I have tried some and not used them because I felt like they had an unnatural amount of rasp. However on the right bird and day pretty much any call would work, and the next time out nothing would. That's the nature of these birds.

GobbleNut

From my experience, I think a certain amount of rasp in a call is a good thing.  ...But I also believe that turkeys generally will respond to a certain range of sound better than sounds that are outside that range, either too high and clear-toned, or two low and raspy-toned.  Of course, individual turkeys can vary as to what sound pushes their button, but I believe that a somewhat raspy, mid-tonal-range call is probably a good starting point for most callers. 

zeus26

I like my beers hoppy and my calls raspy.  In my book, there's no such thing as too hoppy or too raspy!

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Quote from: stinkpickle on May 19, 2011, 12:33:21 AM
Some hens sound raspy.  Some hens sound clean.  They're all different, so I doubt you'll scare any with heavy rasp.  I've never heard a hen squeal, however...not saying they don't.   ;)

Stinky, you've never heard a hen squeal??