OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: School me on old schol Remington 11-87s  (Read 4161 times)

Offline Jc69

Re: School me on old schol Remington 11-87s
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2020, 02:44:52 PM »
I wasn't sure about what that was on the safety!  I didn't get a key and it seems to work like a normal remington safety, ...........but I haven't shot it yet?  I've never come across one of these......Ozark Hillbilly, you may have just gotten out-hillbillied?

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2020, 04:20:38 PM »
Beautiful gun, great find. If you are unhappy with the worn camo spots, I am confident that one of us on the forum will purchase it from you....lol. Good luck with it. They are great guns.....
“Solo hunter”

Offline Ozarks Hillbilly

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2020, 04:51:03 PM »
Remington didn't use them for very long. Basically there is a J shaped key that you can insert into the slot on the safety button. When tuned the button is locked on safe. I have seen a couple of them fail. I think there were a lot of issues with the ones on the 700 rifles.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline captpete

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2020, 05:40:05 PM »
I have a 2001 870 SPM with same camo pattern...it is Mossy Oak Break-up. I recently replaced the "J-Lock" safety on it. About $20 in parts, about 20 minutes of time and it was done.. I actually had mine screw up 2 times on me. I went to shoot at a duck and couldn't get the safety off. Some how or another the "J-Lock" got turned, locking the safety. After playing with it for awhile I was able get it turned so I could take the safety off. Since then I made sure I had the "key" with me. It did it one other time while I was Pheasant hunting. Same thing, went to shoot and couldn't take the safety off. That time I had the "key" in my pocket.

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2020, 05:53:56 PM »
I have a 2001 870 SPM with same camo pattern...it is Mossy Oak Break-up. I recently replaced the "J-Lock" safety on it. About $20 in parts, about 20 minutes of time and it was done.. I actually had mine screw up 2 times on me. I went to shoot at a duck and couldn't get the safety off. Some how or another the "J-Lock" got turned, locking the safety. After playing with it for awhile I was able get it turned so I could take the safety off. Since then I made sure I had the "key" with me. It did it one other time while I was Pheasant hunting. Same thing, went to shoot and couldn't take the safety off. That time I had the "key" in my pocket.

Great news, better to fail on a duck than a big Tom....be safe....great advice on changing it out....
“Solo hunter”

Offline captpete

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2020, 06:06:09 PM »
Here are a couple of pics of the key. It is 2-3 inches long.

key1 by K Pete, on Flickr

key by K Pete, on Flickr

Offline captpete

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2020, 06:07:25 PM »

Great news, better to fail on a duck than a big Tom....be safe....great advice on changing it out....

That is exactly the reason I decided to change it out!!

Offline Ozarks Hillbilly

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2020, 06:15:50 PM »

That is exactly the reason I decided to change it out!!
X2

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2020, 07:19:14 PM »
Amen....
“Solo hunter”

Offline Jc69

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2020, 09:43:07 AM »
Thanks for all the replies and info.  I'll run by the gun shop and see if I can pick up a key for now and  order a replacement kit for the safety.  One more quick question, would this be considered the Special Purpose turkey?  It only says Special Purpose on the receiver and I see where remington lists several different special purpose models?

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2020, 09:53:21 AM »
I am no expert on these guns, but the 21 inch barrel would lead me to believe it is indeed a turkey model. Good luck, great gun....you will love it......
“Solo hunter”

Offline Ozarks Hillbilly

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2020, 10:01:52 AM »
Yes it would be a SPST

Offline Jc69

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2020, 12:40:53 PM »
Does it have a vent rib or rifle sights? Late 90's I would venture a guess camo pattern is Mossy Oak original Break Up. Then they switched to Mossy Oak Obsession. Mid 2000's they switched to Realtree APG.
I would suggest a Indian Creek. 665 choke tube. Check POI vs. POA make any necessary adjustments and go hunting.

Thanks for the suggestion on the choke.  That is exactly what I was planning to put on her.  I've heard from more than one person that the .665 Indian Creek on an 11-87 is a great combo.

Offline Ozarks Hillbilly

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2020, 12:51:44 PM »
Your welcome. Indian Creek .665 in a 870 or 11-87 seem to throw a great pattern. They work well in a M2 also. I think they work well in several manufacturers. I just have more experience with Remington's.

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2020, 01:29:34 PM »
Your welcome. Indian Creek .665 in a 870 or 11-87 seem to throw a great pattern. They work well in a M2 also. I think they work well in several manufacturers. I just have more experience with Remington's.

X2 on these recommendations.
“Solo hunter”