turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

School me on old schol Remington 11-87s

Started by Jc69, September 08, 2020, 09:27:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jc69

Picking up an older 11-87.  I don't think it is what is considered the true old school camo pattern, but it is older.  To start with, I don't have all the exact info at this time.  I found the gun over the weekend and for the first time ever, my background check was delayed.  (I'm not sure why, every time I've bought a gun in the past, they usually comment on how fast it goes through, and I've never even had a speeding ticket.)
So anyway I should have it by the weekend and can get more definite info on it.
  Looks to be 21-23 inch barrel its an 11-87 Special Purpose. It isn't the tree bark, bottomland or green leaf, but it is an older camo pattern, I suspect from late 1990's.  The type of camo isn't written in the camo like most modern camo's.  I looked all over and couldn't find anything like mossy oak or realtree in the camo.  I should have gotten the date code off the barrel, but by that point, I was trying to figure out why my background was delayed.
  Anyway, appreciate any info in general on the older special purpose 11-87s.

Ozarks Hillbilly

Does it have a vent rib or rifle sights? Late 90's I would venture a guess camo pattern is Mossy Oak original Break Up. Then they switched to Mossy Oak Obsession. Mid 2000's they switched to Realtree APG.
I would suggest a Indian Creek. 665 choke tube. Check POI vs. POA make any necessary adjustments and go hunting.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Jc69

Vent rib, with a some type of high viz....not sure if that is original to the gun.  Did say no light loads on the barrel.  It comes with a tight wad choke.  I've been looking around for an older 11-87 and this one is almost exactly what I was looking for.  The only thing that would have made it better, to me, is the old bottom land or green leaf.

Tom007

Sounds like a beauty, good luck with it.....
"Solo hunter"

Jc69

Thanks! The gun shop called me and told me I'm all cleared to pick her up so I'll know exactly what it is by tomorrow.

Ozarks Hillbilly

Congrats post a picture when you get it.

Tom007

Quote from: Ozarks Hillbilly on September 08, 2020, 02:53:04 PM
Congrats post a picture when you get it.

[/quote

X2, love to see a picture.....
"Solo hunter"

ChiefBubba

Just an FYI back grounds checks are running about 24 hours behind. I've bought 2 guns this summer and I picked them up next day. Good luck and show us some pictures. Bubba

Jc69

More specifics on the gun.  It has a 21 inch barrel,  I think it is a 1999-2001 since there is no barrel code on the left side of the barrel?  It just says Special Purpose on the receiver, doesn't state special purpose such as turkey or predator?  I'm not sure of the camo pattern..  It isn't the old greenleaf or bottom land or tree bark, but in parts of the camo pattern, you can see what looks like some of the old treebark or bottomland pattern mixed in.  I don't think it is what is considered the true old school 11-87, but still an older one?  Here is a pic, if I am smart enough to figure this out.

Jc69

I'm not sure if my picture posted?  IF I'm logged in, i can see it, if I'm not logged in, no picture?

CALVIN7878

Ozarks Hillbilly

Good find

Jc69

Thanks, I have been on the lookout for a good used  11-87 since around the beginning of the year.  I was looking at any version I could come across.  I wasn't looking too hard, just visiting a few gun shops that I know of here and there in person and I didn't look online.  I didn't really figure I would come across a camo one.  It's in real good condition, it has two small places where the camo has worn a little.  Plan to use it alot.

Jc69

Here is the other side of her with the 2 worn spots on the camo:
  I don't think it has been shot just a whole lot.  Unless they have been changed, the bolt is solid black with no wear and the loading port has zero wear and is solid black and it has a sticker inside the forend about the gas ring still on.

Ozarks Hillbilly

One suggestion for you. If you don't want to switch out that J lock safety. Be sure to carry the key with you in your turkey vest.