OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Fall hunting  (Read 5768 times)

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Fall hunting
« on: September 06, 2020, 08:32:51 PM »
I have never tried to fall hunt but would like to try this year. I am hoping for some information on a few things, I own several pots now and need to learn to kee kee on them, what would be my best surface and striker combination do get a good kee kee run?

I have a few longboxes that do great Kee Kee's as well.

Also I do not have a dog to scatter the turkey and I have not been able to run since my accident in 88 so what would be my best strategy for getting a bird to come it outside of a kee kee run?

I seem to be using decoys less and less, only had them out like 3 days all this past Spring season so I would like some advise on both using and not using them if possible.

I am in the Southern Zone of NY and as you can see turkey season and deer archery season overlap a bit so I will be trying to do a little of both at the same time certain days.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline fallhnt

• Double Beard
  • "So easy a gun hunter can do it"
Re: Fall hunting
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2020, 08:51:31 PM »
Set up and call in the birds. No need to try and bust em up. Scout and find roost areas or walk and call while looking for sign. Use decoys or don't. Good luck

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2020, 09:03:06 PM »
Set up and call in the birds. No need to try and bust em up. Scout and find roost areas or walk and call while looking for sign. Use decoys or don't. Good luck

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Thanks, good luck to you as well.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2020, 08:16:58 AM »
You can Kee-kee on pretty much any pot. Just run you striker parallel with the edge instead of running towards the center. That way you just get the first note (kee). Some guys do run a slightly shorter striker also.

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2020, 11:24:24 AM »
You can Kee-kee on pretty much any pot. Just run you striker parallel with the edge instead of running towards the center. That way you just get the first note (kee). Some guys do run a slightly shorter striker also.
Thank you very much, is there any striker that is more consistent at producing the kee kee run? I was actually getting to where I could do it on the call I got from you before my moment of stupidity.

John Koenig:

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2020, 12:50:22 PM »
For a kee on a pot call I prefer a carbon striker on slate or glass, and bit more pressure running the direction EZ notes above. Carbon will also most often run wet too if its raining.

But one of your new long boxes are definitely the way to go for consistent fall talk, IMHO. You can mimic all the sounds from a kee-kee, to multiple hens or jakes, mature hen assembly yelps, or gobbler clucks, to a jake or full gobble.

If you can find the roost as fallhnt noted, or fresh scratchings or a field where they are feeding, you can get into good position without having to chase them down for a scatter.

I don't use dekes, and I certainly wouldn't use them in the fall if rifles are permitted in your area. Good luck to you Steve.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2020, 09:24:07 PM »
For a kee on a pot call I prefer a carbon striker on slate or glass, and bit more pressure running the direction EZ notes above. Carbon will also most often run wet too if its raining.

But one of your new long boxes are definitely the way to go for consistent fall talk, IMHO. You can mimic all the sounds from a kee-kee, to multiple hens or jakes, mature hen assembly yelps, or gobbler clucks, to a jake or full gobble.

If you can find the roost as fallhnt noted, or fresh scratchings or a field where they are feeding, you can get into good position without having to chase them down for a scatter.

I don't use dekes, and I certainly wouldn't use them in the fall if rifles are permitted in your area. Good luck to you Steve.
Thanks for the advise all the way around. No rifles for turkey in NY we are lucky we can used them for deer now. (Just ordered a Limbsaver recoil pad for the .06) I am thinking that I may have to go public land for the fall season, they do not want me to bow hunt or trap their land before regular deer season (Rifle and shotgun here in NY) as they think I will scare the deer away. I am going to practice for sure on the pot calls, three of my long boxes belt out kee kee runs like there is no tomorrow but I need to learn it on a diaphragm and a pot call, I am okay with it on my one trumpet I have been practicing on since I broke the wingbone from Tony. I was getting real good ones from that one.

If I am on public I will not use a decoy at all, you can take either sex in the fall season and I am not to keen on the idea of somebody thinking I am a turkey. Other than a jive turkey that is.

John Koenig:

Offline Turkeyman

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2020, 04:51:00 PM »
I'll be up in the northern zone Oct. 1, or close to it weather dependant. I'm fortunate that I've got a good spot on a farmer friend who has a 30 acre patch of mature timber out back where I've always found birds.  That being the case, I set up in the dark prior to fly down and wait until I hear them start tree talking. At fly down, or just prior, I'll run a soft string of yelps at them to get their attention in my direction. Then I'll hit them with a kee-kee, generally my mouth call. I don't push it...if they happen to go out into the fields surrounding the woods I just hang out for awhile...they'll be back. Patience prevails.

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2020, 07:23:23 PM »
I'll be up in the northern zone Oct. 1, or close to it weather dependant. I'm fortunate that I've got a good spot on a farmer friend who has a 30 acre patch of mature timber out back where I've always found birds.  That being the case, I set up in the dark prior to fly down and wait until I hear them start tree talking. At fly down, or just prior, I'll run a soft string of yelps at them to get their attention in my direction. Then I'll hit them with a kee-kee, generally my mouth call. I don't push it...if they happen to go out into the fields surrounding the woods I just hang out for awhile...they'll be back. Patience prevails.
Thanks.

John Koenig:

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2020, 11:12:58 AM »
Find the food and you'll find fall birds.  I look for areas where they frequent, my hunting partner that got me into turkey hunting always said look for layers of scratching.  What he meant was older scratching mixed in with fresh scratching will tell you a flock is using the area pretty regularly.  I would get in at daylight and just sit and like Turkeyman said, listen for them to start tree talking and join in.  Listening to a flock wake up is as exciting as listening to a gobbler in the spring.  If the area is big enough stretch your legs and do a little walking and calling if you don't hear anything at daybreak, personally I prefer to sit and wait them out if its an area they use frequently.  Denny Gulvas has a great fall hunting video that covers everything from "traditional" breaking up the flock fall hunting to sitting and waiting them out in a an area they like to feed.

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2020, 03:29:29 PM »
Find the food and you'll find fall birds.  I look for areas where they frequent, my hunting partner that got me into turkey hunting always said look for layers of scratching.  What he meant was older scratching mixed in with fresh scratching will tell you a flock is using the area pretty regularly.  I would get in at daylight and just sit and like Turkeyman said, listen for them to start tree talking and join in.  Listening to a flock wake up is as exciting as listening to a gobbler in the spring.  If the area is big enough stretch your legs and do a little walking and calling if you don't hear anything at daybreak, personally I prefer to sit and wait them out if its an area they use frequently.  Denny Gulvas has a great fall hunting video that covers everything from "traditional" breaking up the flock fall hunting to sitting and waiting them out in a an area they like to feed.
Thank you much for the information. Looks like it will be public land for sure, I have not hunted public land since 2001 should be interesting.

John Koenig:

Offline tomstopper

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2020, 07:06:27 AM »
Sir-diealot, sometimes I still wish I lived in NY. I miss being able to hunt in the fall. If I still lived there, I would be more than happy to take you to one of my favorite spots and break up a flock when they flew down. Maybe if I ever get back up there in the fall, we can link up for a hunt. Good luck this fall

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2020, 11:47:24 PM »
Sir-diealot, sometimes I still wish I lived in NY. I miss being able to hunt in the fall. If I still lived there, I would be more than happy to take you to one of my favorite spots and break up a flock when they flew down. Maybe if I ever get back up there in the fall, we can link up for a hunt. Good luck this fall

That would be fun. I got a pleasant surprise, I am going to be able to Fall hunt the same property I Spring hunt after all. I am going to put a blind up this week and also I bought a chair called the Low Down Hunting Seat I had worried it would be hard for me to get in and out of but even hooked low on tree it is easy to get out of.

John Koenig:

Offline tomstopper

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2020, 03:55:58 AM »

That would be fun. I got a pleasant surprise, I am going to be able to Fall hunt the same property I Spring hunt after all. I am going to put a blind up this week and also I bought a chair called the Low Down Hunting Seat I had worried it would be hard for me to get in and out of but even hooked low on tree it is easy to get out of.
Great. Good luck and hopefully we will be seeing pictures real soon

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2020, 09:29:00 AM »

Great. Good luck and hopefully we will be seeing pictures real soon

Thanks, sure hope so.

John Koenig: