OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Food plots are in  (Read 2378 times)

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
Food plots are in
« on: August 27, 2020, 04:51:39 PM »
The Good Lord has given us about a week of beautiful dry weather and our food plots are in.  Last Saturday, we put in several brassica plots and Winter wheat and oats plots.  Monday we put in our first ever alfalfa plot along with a winter rye and oats plot and some more brassicas (rape and radishes).  Today our final plots of winter rye and oats and brassicas went in.  Two weeks prior to this beautiful weather, we had plenty of rain so soil moisture was high.  The plots that we planted on Saturday and Monday have already germinated and are looking good.  My prayers now is we don't get any hurricanes with massive amounts of rain and drown our efforts.  May the wildlife EAT WELL!

Offline nativeks

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Food plots are in
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2020, 01:45:09 PM »
I planted winter wheat and turnips last night. Rains came this morning.

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2020, 02:40:46 PM »
I planted winter wheat and turnips last night. Rains came this morning.
Perfect timing Native.  I pray for Good Rain and Abundant Sunshine for your plots.  Get some triple 19 on those turnips at the 3 to 4 leaf stage and pray for an inch of rain a week and you should have turnips the size of softballs in a couple of months.  Good Luck!

Offline nativeks

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 09:51:23 AM »
I cant get deer to eat turnips. This will be year 5. I had monster turnips last year and what I didnt pick to eat rotted in the grou d.

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2020, 12:46:45 PM »
Wow.  They devour mine here in Eastern NC.  They will normally leave them alone until November, when the leaves fall of the trees and we get our first frost, and by the end of January first couple of weeks of February they will have them mowed to the ground.  Do they eat the green tops?  Have you tried Rape and or Radishes as an alternative?

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2020, 12:48:43 PM »
Thank god, here comes deer season.....
“Solo hunter”

Offline nativeks

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2020, 10:17:35 PM »
Last year I did a turnip/radish mix. They mow then down after the first couple freezes and the starches convert to sugars. They dont touch the bulbs.

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2020, 07:27:25 AM »
Since they won't eat the bulbs, I would suggest a mix of Dwarf Essex Rape and Seven Top Turnips.  Both of these varieties produce HUGE leaves but very little root mass.  They will grow GREAT GREEN TONNAGE with an addition of high nitrogen fertilizer.  These varieties will normally be $1 to $2 per pound at most seed stores.  And as you said, a good frost or two will cause the sugar content to rise and the deer will pound them.

Offline nativeks

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2020, 05:50:14 PM »
Coming along nicely.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2020, 07:42:21 PM »
Nice stand of WW and turnips after only 10 days.  Looks as if the turnips are pretty thick.  Grab a couple bags of 19-19-19 and you should see some good growth in a couple of weeks.  Great work Native!

Offline wvhoyt19

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2020, 08:38:09 PM »
Looks great!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline nativeks

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2020, 11:09:13 PM »
Lack of rain killing my plots

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2020, 07:06:28 AM »
I went to our lease Monday, four weeks after planting, and the plots look really good.  We received about 2 inches of rain last Thursday into Friday plus a half inch here and there over the last month.  The Brassicas are doing well with growth in the 6-8 inch range.  Wheat and rye are doing excellent as well.  I have fertilized the brassicas once but will put on another dose of Trip 19 in another week or so.  We are seeing cooler temps this past week but temps pick back up this weekend.  As long as the hurricanes, in the Atlantic, continue to be Fish storms we should have some Very Nice plots by our first frost in November.

Offline nativeks

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2020, 12:42:51 PM »
We havent had rain since I planted and looking at the forecast the weather looks beautiful but zero chance of rain in the next 2 weeks.

Offline kennedyh1990

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2020, 01:08:02 PM »
I planted clovers yesterday in two plots at my deer camp. Rain was estimated to be around 1.5” which would’ve been perfect. Woke up to 3” and still raining....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk