OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

The HOLY GRAIL of call build'n (call build'n books)

Started by Fox Fire, February 12, 2011, 10:21:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fox Fire

I remember someone spoke of a book that was considered the holy grail of call build'n, I dont recall the author or name of the book title but it was very hard to find and very expensive when you did, just outta curiousity could someone set me straight here ?

While I'm ask'n...what made the book so desirable, was it the info on call design, woods used to make certain sounds maybe ?

Does some one here own such a book ?

Mostly I'm just curious but if found I'll dig thru piles of old books, cant never tell what you'll find.

Bonjour

http://www.amazon.com/Turning-Custom-Duck-Game-Calls/dp/156523281X
This is the book I believe your talking about. This is one of the first books to go into great depth of various ways to build calls. This book is great for the beginner and advanced to help generate ideas of how to make custom calls from turkey to duck and goose calls. I bought the book when it first came out and it helped me out a great deal. If your interested in call making, I would get it.

triune

They may have been speaking of the books by the late Neil Cost.  There is a series of four total.  I am fortunate to have three of the four.  When these books go up for sale you can count on a hefty price and they won't last long.
Kenny

Fox Fire

Niel Cost...that rings a bell, what was title of his books and what makes them so pricey ?

Bonjour, To be honest by look'n at your calls you've been do'n your home work, you do some very nice work, I keep put'n off buy'n one of your calls, matter of fact been eyeball'n a couple you have posted up now.

I wouldnt mind try'n my hand at call's just because it looks like fun, plus get'n to take a bird with a call you made yourself would up the fun factor 10 fold, but thers to many things I need to finish now before start'n a new project.

triune

Neil's books are entertaining, interesting and detailed in how he made his calls and selected his woods.  I think the one book most sought would be the one titled the GOBBLER SHOP.  I would say it is a safe bet to say that atleast 90 percent of the box call makers today copy his style. 
Kenny

gaboy

Quote from: triune on February 13, 2011, 10:37:51 PM
Neil's books are entertaining, interesting and detailed in how he made his calls and selected his woods.  I think the one book most sought would be the one titled the GOBBLER SHOP...

There's a copy available on www.abebooks.com for $595.

Boomstick

amazon.com has "Making turkey callers in the Gobbler's shop" on sale right now for $1061.18
"Good... Bad... Im the guy with the gun" Ash from army of darkness

Fox Fire

WOW !!! thats a serious price on iether, i guess how you select your wood has a lot to do with what peticular sound your try'n to get.

But at the ask'n prices of these books is the information in them worth the cost ?

I dont meen to sound like a smart elleck but I'm just curious about the books.

eemer

You can still get excerpts from Neil Cost's books from Branton Berryhill Publishing, here's the link

http://www.brantonberryhill.com/products.html

I hope this helps you get started with your box call making.
Vermont Tom-Taker Turkey Calls!

Fox Fire

Thank ya kindly sir, at this point I'm just curious but ould love to make a decent call just for the experience.

Bonjour

Good luck doing just one. Their like Lays potato chips, can't stop at just one.  :TooFunny:

gaboy

Quote from: eemer on February 15, 2011, 01:06:49 PM
You can still get excerpts from Neil Cost's books from Branton Berryhill Publishing, here's the link

http://www.brantonberryhill.com/products.html

I hope this helps you get started with your box call making.

yep found that site and ordered the video and the paddle call and 2 sided box call chapters.

Fox Fire

[quote author=BonjourGood luck doing just one. Their like Lays potato chips, can't stop at just one.  :TooFunny:

I like build'n things anyway, your probably rite.

Thers a swap and shop radio prgram in the mornins that I listen to, today a guy had a wood lathe for sale I just about called him on it, but I just dont have time rite now, maybe later.

gobblingghost

I have a set of the three Neil Cost books all signed and matching numbers. I might sell them if the price was right.

Fox Fire