OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Haunted by the Gobble by Ted Rize

Started by Sir-diealot, August 25, 2020, 07:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

I just finished reading Haunted by the Gobble by Ted Rize Fantastic book, I would suggest it to anyone. His love of turkey hunting, being out in nature, the people you get to meet and the trials and tribulations of being a turkey hunter shine through in his stories and poetry. I think it is in it's third or fourth printing now, pictures are the first and I believe third printing covers.

Now onto a book I have been hearing about for 4 years, The Tenth Legion by Tom Kelly.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Ozarks Hillbilly

Thanks for the review I will have to find a copy.
The tenth legion is a great book. A little tough for me to read the first few times.I think it's written a lot like the way Col. Tom Kelly speaks. The first few times I read the tenth legion I had never heard him speak so I think that's why I had a harder time with it than say the Season or some of his other wonderful books....I love to listen to him talk turkey.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Ozarks Hillbilly on August 25, 2020, 07:32:18 PM
Thanks for the review I will have to find a copy.
The tenth legion is a great book. A little tough for me to read the first few times.I think it's written a lot like the way Col. Tom Kelly speaks. The first few times I read the tenth legion I had never heard him speak so I think that's why I had a harder time with it than say the Season or some of his other wonderful books....I love to listen to him talk turkey.

You're welcome. Ted is a member here, here is a link to his profile http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php?action=profile;u=15923  and here is the books page on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/ctrize/

I will have to get something of him (Mr. Kelly) on CD, I know they sell various CD's on https://www.tomkellyinc.net/
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Ozarks Hillbilly

Thank you Sir for sharing the link to Mr Rise.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Ozarks Hillbilly on August 25, 2020, 07:57:23 PM
Thank you Sir for sharing the link to Mr Rise.

You're welcome. Not trying to be rude but it is Rize not Rice.

John Koenig:

Ozarks Hillbilly

Stupid auto correct. LOL

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Ozarks Hillbilly on August 25, 2020, 08:08:21 PM
Stupid auto correct. LOL

Had that happen to me earlier.

John Koenig:

GobbleGitr

Ted respects the bird and is a good storyteller.  You are in for a treat with Tenth Legion...take your time, it is a book to savor!

Sir-diealot

Quote from: GobbleGitr on August 26, 2020, 08:07:07 PM
Ted respects the bird and is a good storyteller.  You are in for a treat with Tenth Legion...take your time, it is a book to savor!
Thank you for the advise, I am going to get into it a bit more tomorrow afternoon or evening if getting my MRI done does not completely trash my back, have to drive so I can't take the one medication and can't wear the patch because it has a foil backing so it will be fun.

John Koenig:

greencop01

A good CD by Tom Kelly is his reading the story "Afternoon on the handles or Sitting on the handles, his best work. Great reading that story. About the funeral of his friend, the best turkey hunter he knew.
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

greencop01

Here is a You Tube of Tom Kelly reading "An Afternoon on the Handles", a really good story. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNVdBGu30WI     Enjoy
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

Sir-diealot

Quote from: greencop01 on August 29, 2020, 12:36:48 PM
Here is a You Tube of Tom Kelly reading "An Afternoon on the Handles", a really good story. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNVdBGu30WI     Enjoy
Thank you, I will check it out after a while.

John Koenig:

m2benelli

Ted's book is a very nice read.  For us that got started late in the game, great to read about doing it on public land and all that goes with that.  Thoroughly enjoyed the poetry at the end of the book