turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Best Small Game Shotgun?

Started by NightHawk24, August 25, 2020, 06:51:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

captfire

I USE A MOSSBERG SA-20 WITH A FULL CHOKE # 6 SHOT WINCHESTER LOW BRASS ...

the Ward

I mostly carry one of my old single shots for small game anymore. Old Stevens 20 gauge with hi brass 5s or 6s. My old 12 is one of those old imported folding hammerless jobs with a 36" barrel, super light to carry all day. Killed plenty of rabbit an pheasants with those guns, back when we used to have a decent population of wild birds around. Miss those days! Don't do hardly any small game hunting now, except for dove. Loved squirrel hunting as a kid, .22 only, slipping through the morning fog, listening for hickory or acorn cuttings falling down to locate them. Ahh the simple joys of being young and healthy, without a worry in the world, except for the math test on friday in mrs. crabapples class!

Kylongspur88

Remington 870 with any long brass 5 or 6 is my squirrel gun. 20 ga ammo is everywhere and cheap and comes in a variety or loads. If you want to shoot doves too I'd look at an auto loader in 20 ga.

squidd

Picked up a Winchester SX3 20-ga a few years ago and now i take hunting for everything - turkey, quail, dove, duck, rabbit, etc..

The only game I have not hunted with it is deer or coyotes.

Snoodsniper

For rabbits and squirrels it's hard to beat a .410. I either carry an old model 24 .410/22 O/U or a CZ Redhead. For birds I'll normally move up to a 20, occasionally a 12.

Bowguy

Quote from: Tom007 on August 25, 2020, 07:13:32 PM
Lots of options here. Over-unders make great small game guns. It all depends on what budget your working with. I like over-unders due to their ease of unloading. Small game hunting is a gregarious event, dogs, fellow hunters, sometimes group gatherings The ease and break open ability lends itself well to that environment. Good luck.....

I haven't been here much but this is the best answer. The ga should be 20 or 28. 28 is my choice. A .410 is choked too tight and often rat holes game or doesn't have enough pellets at range to be effective. A 12ga is just too much