turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Unusual Roost Sites

Started by Spurs Up, August 22, 2020, 05:54:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spurs Up

I stumbled across a turkey hunting video filmed in Montana that showed a dozen or more turkeys roosting on an electrical power line tower. Before that, I'd never heard on one not roosting in a tree. Ever seen or heard of that yourself?

redleg06

Out West, if there's no suitable trees around, I've seen them roost on power lines and shooting houses.  I'm sure it happens quite a bit when there's not many trees around

Huckleberry91

They've gotta hang their hat somewhere, id say if its high enough and strong enough they call it home for the night. Here in the Ozark mountains it amazes me to sit and think of the brutal storms they weather in the spring and summer! Im a betting id be white knuckled when them ole tall pine and oak go to swaying!

Sir-diealot

I have seen them do that and just up the road from me I saw one go to the top of a phone pole to roots one evening. It surprised me because he came across the road from another field and passed over the top of me while I was driving.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Brian Fahs

I've seen several roost on an old cable TV Antena on a farmhouse roof. There are plenty of trees there but the house sits down in a hollow and they can pitch right up onto the antenae.

Turkeyman

Not only unusual roost sites but also nest sites. Few years ago flushed a hen w/nest from a broken toilet bowl in a country dump. It had a piece of sheet metal overhanging it. High and dry. Checked it a couple weeks later and it was a successful hatch.