OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Frogwood Strikers  (Read 1621 times)

Offline Dfowlup

• Fowler Outdoor Products
Frogwood Strikers
« on: August 21, 2020, 06:17:31 AM »
Just started making some Frogwood Strikers to go along with my Dymondwood, Dymalux and Dymond Ply. Dad never made any as it was just coming out prior to his passing.  Does anyone have any input on if there are variations in sound from the different colors styles?  I have made three from the first I've purchased which is the Gaelic color.  I just ordered a couple more styles but there's a long lead time now for getting the orders in. I would assume the colors will just be a cosmetic difference as long as its made the same.
Fowlup

Offline Jrkimbrough

Re: Frogwood Strikers
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2020, 07:12:20 AM »
Ive tried 3-4 different colors. All seemed the same to me for what its worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline outdoors

• Limbhanger
  • 2015 forum supporter. “Outta’ the Woods”
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2020, 07:19:36 AM »
Unlike dymondwood darker colors grabbed or sounded better
My experience with frogwood is the lighter N color sounds better
I know everybody holds the strikers different, just my results
Frogwood so far is the best runner up too dymondwood .......
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2020, 11:04:33 AM »
Frogwood makes a fair striker and i agree with it running close to diamondwood .. Frogwood is not my favorite.

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2020, 11:17:12 AM »
I have several different colors and I can't tell any sound difference either.  IMO, the laminated strikers you have mentioned grab the surfaces of most pots and allow for Excellent turkey sounds.  My GO TO strikers are the frogwood (birch laminate) (any color) or a Dymondwood.  I also prefer thicker heavier strikers to thinner lighter strikers.

Offline bornagain64

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2020, 11:39:49 AM »
These strikers are for sale. Whats the price?
I have a bunch from your dad and a few you made, I might have to add another to the fold.

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2020, 12:15:57 PM »
The color name of these has the half Irish part of me interested, send me a message and let me know what you are selling these for please.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Dfowlup

• Fowler Outdoor Products
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2020, 06:07:35 PM »
Thanks for all the replies.  I have an inventory list and prices on my web page....www.fowleroutdoors.com.  Just click the links to the strikers and inventory.  There are still many of my Dad's strikers but they are dwindling pretty fast.  I have $40 on the Frogwood and Dymalux strikers.   I'm getting the same prices as my Dad was on everything except some two piece strikers.  I can't see how he could make the two piece cheaper than one piece because even though a lesser amount of wood is used, it takes longer to build. 
Fowlup