OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Been a good month!  (Read 1324 times)

Offline Loyalist84

Been a good month!
« on: August 19, 2020, 05:30:17 PM »
Got off pretty much all the lists I was on, and came out with a great haul to show for it - even if my photos aren't fantastic.

While over at a buddy's I do woodworking projects with, I got a piece of black walnut from him, and sent it off to Nathan Taylor to turn up into a pot to pair with the red slate in curly roasted maple he was making for me. They're both awesome calls, but this purple slate (which has some amazing teal streaking in it) he put in the walnut might be my favourite slate call now. It has a deep, full, raspy break and it loves a cocobolo striker.

On that note, I had Jeff turn me up some beauties in a couple batches that just came in - Tulipwood, Rutland Dymondwood, Macassar Ebony and his figured Bloodwood along with a replacement Katalox for the one I lost this season. I also got in touch with Derek Fowler and bought a couple from his father's old stock - Honduras Rosewood, Cocobolo, and a Persimmon with a carbon tip.

A new surface for me from a fellow who lived up to every recommendation I got on the forum was Buster Halford's Osage Glass double sider. This is a plain awesome call - probably the top of my list for a one-pot fellow, the clucks and yelps I can get from the small slate with the deep, raspy sound the glass gives me has changed my entire opinion of what a glass call should sound like.

On of these days I'm going to get my jaw off the floor and order some more, but y'all need to call these fellas and get you one!

« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 08:05:02 PM by Loyalist84 »

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Been a good month!
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2020, 05:51:17 PM »
Fine looking calls and strikers, I have to get from Buster eventually myself but have other deals going at this time. He sure makes some nice looking stuff. Really like the looks of that curly maple. Hoping to get a few strikers from Jeff the beginning of next month myself.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline sbbow

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2020, 06:15:07 PM »
Congrats on a great haul!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2020, 06:53:59 PM »
My oh my, you know how to pick 'em!!! Congrats!

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2020, 07:40:55 PM »
Beautiful!  You need to take a look at two of Jeff's New strikers.  He calls them Turkey Feathers.  They resemble the Tail Feathers of an Eastern and the wing feathers (black and white laminated).  I've got one of each and they are BEAUTIFUL.  They play even better.  Check them out on his Facebook page, you won't be disappointed.

Offline Loyalist84

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2020, 07:49:22 PM »
Thanks guys!

bbcoach - way ahead of ya, I've got a tail feather, his Hickory and a Cocobolo in the mail already!

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2020, 07:35:29 AM »
Lots of turkeys will fall victim to that arsenal. Congrats......
“Solo hunter”