OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Best Reaping Decoy?  (Read 5826 times)

Johnhunter19

Best Reaping Decoy?
« on: August 16, 2020, 08:18:25 PM »
Just curious what brand of reaping decoys people have used and worked the best?

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Best Reaping Decoy?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 08:59:58 PM »
 :popcorn:
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2020, 08:05:42 AM »
 ::) ::) ;D :o  John, John, John,....tsk, tsk,tsk, my friend.  You are apparently new around here so I, for one, will forgive you for speaking of the "R-Word".  I would only suggest that, if you want to stay in good grace with many of the frequenters of OG, you never speak of such sacrilege again,....and if anybody asks, tell them that someone hijacked your account and posted such blasphemy without you having any knowledge of its occurrence.
...You are welcome in advance...   ;D :D :toothy12:

Offline Fl strutter

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2020, 08:17:43 AM »
 :z-guntootsmiley: :wagon:

Offline guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2020, 05:10:07 PM »
Badonkadeke, hands down!!!!
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2020, 05:13:47 PM »
Badonkadeke, hands down!!!!
lol
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Johnhunter19

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2020, 10:57:39 AM »
So we cant say the “R-word”? I apologize but I didn’t realize I was doing something not allowed. I am in Kentucky and it is a perfectly legal to use this tactic here so I guess I am confused if this site is to discuss opinions and other hunters experiences.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2020, 11:03:55 AM »
So we cant say the “R-word”? I apologize but I didn’t realize I was doing something not allowed. I am in Kentucky and it is a perfectly legal to use this tactic here so I guess I am confused if this site is to discuss opinions and other hunters experiences.
It is not that you can't discuss it, it is that it is highly frowned upon because it is so effective it is actually bad for the turkey population and the future of turkey hunting.

I will be honest with you, I had thought of using one when I first heard of them last year or the year before and then I watched videos of people doing it and to be quite honest it made me want to puke, I do not even consider it hunting.

I do have an interest in one for photography, but other than that I wish they would band them in the entire county for hunting. Same goes for that new motorized turkey decoy on a RC car.

John Koenig:

Offline Turkeytider

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2020, 01:01:07 PM »
It is not that you can't discuss it, it is that it is highly frowned upon because it is so effective it is actually bad for the turkey population and the future of turkey hunting.

I will be honest with you, I had thought of using one when I first heard of them last year or the year before and then I watched videos of people doing it and to be quite honest it made me want to puke, I do not even consider it hunting.

I do have an interest in one for photography, but other than that I wish they would band them in the entire county for hunting. Same goes for that new motorized turkey decoy on a RC car.

Ditto in spades. And that`s before you get to the part of how stunningly dangerous it is. Unless someone has a death wish, I can`t fathom someone doing that on public land, particularly. I can see it as a boon to wildlife photography, though.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2020, 11:34:38 AM »
We have beat the reaping horse to death many times,...but I still have a club in my hands so, what the hell, let's beat it up some more!

My summarized position (again):
1) Most importantly, be as knowledgeable as you can about the resource you hunt, including where you hunt it, and how the number of turkeys you (and your buddies/kids/relatives) kill will impact that resource.
2) As a turkey hunter, STOP playing the numbers game.  You don't have to kill your limit every time to prove you are a turkey hunter.  If the turkey population in your area can't stand for you to kill three, four, or five gobblers, get a grip and DON'T DO IT!  No ethical sportsmen will think less of you because you had some self control!
3) Dead turkeys are dead turkeys.  It doesn't matter if you kill five turkeys the first day of the season by reaping or five turkeys in 60 days of hunting by calling.  Your impact on the resource is the same.  The problem lies in killing five turkeys when you should only be killing one or two. (see #1 and #2 above)
4) Kill your gobblers the way you want to as long as it is legal and fits within some legitimate parameters of turkey hunting ethics (which, granted, are debatable to some degree, but not ALL degrees). 
5) However you hunt, always be cognizant of the safety issues involved and don't do something stupid that could get you seriously injured or killed and/or might get some one else injured or killed.
6)  Hunt to "go hunting", not to feel like you have to "kill something at any cost".

Take it or leave it,...that's the view from here....   :) :icon_thumright:

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2020, 11:50:32 AM »
Amen

Offline Ihuntoldschool

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2020, 07:09:25 PM »
Just use Badonkadeke as previously suggested. That's what all the youtube experts are using currently .  Buy two and use them simultaneously for maximum effect.

Johnhunter19

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2020, 10:39:57 AM »
So real turkey hunters want other hunters to get shot in the head. You sound like a great guy Warren, Im sure we could all learn a lot from you, Dumbass. Anyway, the only way I believe reaping should be used is for a last resort, Toms get hung up or the same birds wont come in all season. Its just another tactic like using regular decoys. I have to hunt large hundred acre open fields so if I had to do it, I would be 100% sure that another hunter would not be able to shoot. I would use going out into the large field and absolutely never on public ground or going towards woodlines.

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2020, 02:42:44 PM »
John, first thing first, "Welcome to OG."  Here's what most of the guys are saying.  If you can't call the bird in on a particular day, move on and try him the next day.  Reaping is a very RISKY activity to under take.  When you get behind a fan that looks very realistic, you can't guarantee (100%) that you WON'T get shot.  You can't say with 100% certainity that someone isn't going to come into that setup and SHOOT YOU RIGHT IN THE FACE.  Our lives aren't worth the risk IMO!  To answer your question on a Reaping Decoy to use, I would say NONE!  If you can't get him to come to a call TODAY, hunt him again tomorrow.  Be SAFE!!   

Offline silvestris

• Longbeard
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2020, 07:11:35 PM »
I will let each “hunter” deal with his own safety.  Where I become enraged is when other’s acts infringe on morality.  Reaping ain’t moral.
“[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer.”  Ken Morgan, “Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game