OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Avian pox  (Read 1764 times)

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
Avian pox
« on: August 12, 2020, 07:55:39 AM »
Second bird we’ve seen die of pox this spring with another five known to be infected (a bachelor group of three toms and two jakes). This gobbler just fell over in a neighbor’s yard yesterday morning. Bird is being sent off to see if it may also be carrying LPDV. Mike Chamberlain said, “We are seeing quite a few birds this year all over that show signs of pox but are testing positive for both.” Disease seems to be especially prevalent this year from everything I’m hearing from biologists.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
Re: Avian pox
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2020, 10:52:29 AM »
Wow, bad news....
“Solo hunter”

Offline PalmettoRon

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2020, 10:56:30 AM »
That is bad news as I live in NW SC, not far away.

Online Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2020, 10:59:31 AM »
Just what we need, a turkey disease. Hopefully it won’t get to bad........
“Solo hunter”

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2020, 11:19:52 AM »
Mike said, “I’ve seen more reports than usual of pox this year, and, in some areas, enough cases to suggest that perhaps infections are causing appreciable numbers of mortalities.”

Offline kennedyh1990

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2020, 02:31:54 PM »
Gah that’s sickening news! Not what we need

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2020, 08:33:26 PM »
Hate to hear that. Any clue what the cause may be?
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2020, 12:05:08 PM »
Mike Chamberlain says rain. “Wet weather often makes pox much worse because it can be transmitted by mosquitoes...That’s the culprit on the pox issue. Usually the lesions are dry and the birds get over it, but the wet lesions that affect the upper respiratory tract is where problems come in. Highly transmissible amongst birds too if mosquitoes are bad. I’ve gotten reports of many infected birds all over the region this year, so I’m trying to keep tabs on it.“ So I guess it turns out crazy wet springs aren’t just bad on the hatches but bad on turkeys in general. Probably become more and more of an annual problem as our weather patterns continue to get more and more extreme.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2020, 12:23:11 PM »
Mike Chamberlain says rain. “Wet weather often makes pox much worse because it can be transmitted by mosquitoes...That’s the culprit on the pox issue. Usually the lesions are dry and the birds get over it, but the wet lesions that affect the upper respiratory tract is where problems come in. Highly transmissible amongst birds too if mosquitoes are bad. I’ve gotten reports of many infected birds all over the region this year, so I’m trying to keep tabs on it.“ So I guess it turns out crazy wet springs aren’t just bad on the hatches but bad on turkeys in general. Probably become more and more of an annual problem as our weather patterns continue to get more and more extreme.

I wondered if dampness could be part of it, I do like reading turkey biology stuff and dampness seems to be the culprit or at least a contributing factor many times. Are you getting the information for his Facebook page or elsewhere?
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2020, 12:34:21 PM »

I wondered if dampness could be part of it, I do like reading turkey biology stuff and dampness seems to be the culprit or at least a contributing factor many times. Are you getting the information for his Facebook page or elsewhere?
No, I sent the pictures to him of that bird asking what he thought and he wound up having the bird shipped to UGA for necropsy. He’s mentioned all the above stuff in our conversation and I thought folks here might find it interesting.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2020, 01:14:10 PM »

No, I sent the pictures to him of that bird asking what he thought and he wound up having the bird shipped to UGA for necropsy. He’s mentioned all the above stuff in our conversation and I thought folks here might find it interesting.

Glad to hear you sent it in, can help turkey in the area if they realize there is a problem and maybe can do something to help (If there is anything) Very interesting indeed, thanks for sharing.

John Koenig:

Online Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2020, 10:32:28 AM »
Thanks for the concerns and going the extra mile.........
“Solo hunter”

Offline Hoot 000

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2020, 09:01:54 PM »
Numbers low in south Ms. Pox and black head has been found

Offline Loyalist84

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2020, 09:18:07 PM »
Rotten luck. Hopefully the aggravating issues calm down soon - great to hear biologists like Dr. Chamberlain are actively looking into it.