OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Mossberg 535 not firing occasionally  (Read 3777 times)

Offline Bagg-it Tag-it

• The Boss Gobbler
Mossberg 535 not firing occasionally
« on: August 10, 2020, 08:37:26 PM »
I got a lightly used mossberg 535 for duck hunting last year. I love the gun but about every 5 shots it strikes the shells primer so lightly that it doesn't fire. I can unload it and load it back and it will fire but then will do the not fire thing in a few more shots. I contacted Mossberg about it and they were no help whatsover. "That is normal. Try different ammunition to find a shell that the gun likes." Uh no.

I'm going to send it to a gunsmith to check out but thought I'd try here to see if anyone here had insight on that gun.

Offline ol bob

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Mossberg 535 not firing occasionally
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2020, 08:51:54 PM »
Tighten the cap that holes the barrel on, if that don't help give it a good cleaning.

Offline Bagg-it Tag-it

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2020, 10:22:37 PM »
Tighten the cap that holes the barrel on, if that don't help give it a good cleaning.

I'll try that. Thanks Ol Bob. How tight? Like with channel locks or hand tight?

Online paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 11:23:03 PM »
I just did the MCARBO trigger assembly spring replacement kit for my Mossberg 500 last week. Took about 20 minutes to swap the hammer spring and trigger return springs. Better pull now with better quality springs. Plus they have a detailed installation video on their website too.

May want to consider that, may solve your light strike issue. If you decide to get the spring kit, toss in their little wooden dowel tool as well, really simplified everything.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline silvestris

• Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2020, 11:57:31 PM »

Funny, but not laughable, but if I tighten the cap all the way on my 20 gauge, the gun won’t fire.  Loosen the cap one click, it fires.
“[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer.”  Ken Morgan, “Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2020, 07:25:09 AM »
Another thing that may help you is remove the bolt assembly, and get some Birchwood Casey bore cleaner. It is a high pressure spray like brake cleaner. Spray the bolt down including the firing pin area. This stuff removes all residue, dries almost instantly. Gets inside firing pin channel, does good job. Hope this helps. Worst case, cleans  action real good. Be safe....
“Solo hunter”

Online vt35mag

• Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2020, 08:12:56 AM »
If the trigger assembly is clean and the cap is hand tight, I would be looking at the main hammer spring. Could be weak or broken.  Being you bought it used maybe the gun was always stored with the hammer spring compressed (cocked), which shortened its service life. New ones are available on eBay for under $20 shipped. 

Offline zelmo1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • Take a Newbie Hunting
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2020, 09:52:46 AM »
Try spraying some "KROIL" around the firing pin after you strip it down and clean the gun. I hope that helps, it did on mine. Al

Offline shatcher

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2020, 12:30:28 PM »
Trade it for a Remington.

Offline HookedonHooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • You gotta keep on keepin' on.
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2020, 12:42:24 PM »

I'd take a new Mossberg over a new Remington, but an older used one from say 90's or earlier I'm taking the Remington for sure.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2020, 01:25:31 PM »
  X2 .. agree , i would take the Remington all day, new or old over the Mossberg ... and i have a mossberg 500..

Offline Chuck1443

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2020, 01:36:25 PM »
  X2 .. agree , i would take the Remington all day, new or old over the Mossberg ... and i have a mossberg 500..
I have an older 835 that misfires like that , I’ve replaced firing pin,spring and still occasionally does it . I’m going to cut a coil off the spring next

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[ulr=https://flic.kr/p/2eAvvmY][/url][=https://flic.kr/p/2eAvvmY][/url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/157301774@N04/][/url]

Offline Turkeytider

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2020, 04:49:52 PM »

I'd take a new Mossberg over a new Remington, but an older used one from say 90's or earlier I'm taking the Remington for sure.

2005 Remington 870 Super Mag SPS-T - Terrific  turkey gun. Faultless performance. A tank of a gun.
20015 Remington 870 Express- Also faultless. got it as a backup/ rain gun. Now it competes for time in the dove field and at the skeet range with my much more expensive SAs.
2017 Remington V3 walnut- Excellent SA. Eats anything I feed it, doesn`t kick so much as "shove ".

Going back to my first Remington gun in the 80s, I`ve yet to have a single issue. Then again, I take care of them.

Offline Mossberg90MN

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2020, 07:11:34 PM »
This happened to my brothers Maverick 88.

We took it apart and cleaned it really well. I think I even dipped the trigger assemble in boiling hot water for about 30 sec.

We gave it a real good cleaning and lubed it up real well. Zero problems since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ShootingABN!

• Longbeard
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2020, 11:00:05 PM »
1st step take apart and clean. See how it does. If doesn't fix. Replace the springs, if that doesn't work. Gunsmith?

Good luck.