OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Turning blocks  (Read 1869 times)

Offline Southerngobbler

Turning blocks
« on: August 05, 2020, 12:11:16 PM »
If someone had a couple turning blocks, to be sent to a call maker a year or two down the road to be made into trumpets. What would be the best way to store them?
They are already air dried to a low moisture content and will be kept in an air conditioned environment. But do they need to be wrapped up or maybe vacuumed sealed, maybe just a plastic sandwich bag or do they need air circulation.

Offline buckmark13

Re: Turning blocks
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 12:47:54 PM »
I'd recommend coating them with Anchorseal.

If you don't have Anchorseal,  coating with paraffin wax or even regular wood glue thinned down with a bit of water will help.

Ultimately what you want to do is minimize fast or dramatic changes in temperature and humidity to help prevent any checking.

That said, Mother Nature will always prevail.

Good luck with them!

Offline Southerngobbler

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 09:30:57 AM »
I'd recommend coating them with Anchorseal.

If you don't have Anchorseal,  coating with paraffin wax or even regular wood glue thinned down with a bit of water will help.

Ultimately what you want to do is minimize fast or dramatic changes in temperature and humidity to help prevent any checking.

That said, Mother Nature will always prevail.

Good luck with them!
Thanks for the info. I'll probably try the anchorseal.

Offline buckmark13

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2020, 10:00:38 AM »
You bet! 

I'm not sure how much you have, but Anchorseal goes a long way and is cheaper by the gallon. Rockler also has an equivalent product that is cheaper if you have a local store. Probably about the same if you have to pay for shipping, but it may be worth checking out.

Offline muddpuppi

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2020, 02:45:26 AM »
Depending on wood type...if they are dry 12% or so they should be fine just put up how they are....i have blanks blocks and sawn lumber thats been sitting in the shop for 3 or 4 yrs and have had no prob...